156 Selespeed 2nd gear issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Nelson

Member car:

156 TS Selespeed

156 Selespeed 2nd gear issue

Hi. I have read many forum threads about selespeed problems. I'm hoping members can help us with our car. It gets stuck in second gear. It's a 2003 156 2L TS selespeed. It recently started dropping oil from the selespeed reservoir, and it took me a while to realise it was due to an internal leak, not an external one. During a normal maintenance check, the selespeed reservoir oil level was low. I topped it up, and then when it needed more oil shortly after, I decided to check it more closely. I realised it was from the overflow and removed the battery and shelf to get a good look at all the hydraulics and actuator. There was no visible leak. So I jumped on the internet to look for clues. The pump and pump switch (driver's door) appear to work fine, and generally the car shifts gear quite well. Knowing the likely causes of internal leak are accumulator (cheap) or actuator unit (expensive) I decided to eliminate the first one. I imported an accumulator, and have fitted this. It has improved the gear changing slightly, but once again it stuck in second gear. However I now realise that it gets stuck in 2nd only when the car is turned off and on. IE once it's parked. I turn off the igintion correctly (in gear, with foot on brake until light goes out) but a few minutes later when trying to start the car again, the gear selection flashes N then goes to 2, and will not change. (and of course I then cannot start the car). If we leave it for a few hours (probably until it depressuries) it can be put into Neutral with no problems and starts and drives well. It could be the actuator unit leaking that is causing this, but it feels more like an electrical issue. Any ideas or suggestions? We do not live anywhere near an ALFA service agent with alfadiag or the Fiat version.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
You could download FES or alfadiag and run it on any Windows box. You can get an OBD II KKL cable of ebay.

Sometimes it's just a bad connection somewhere on the actuator or the big connector on the wiring loom causing one of the solenoid valves or sensors to malfunction.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2nd , gear , issue , selespeed