147 1.9JTD EGR valve or turbo? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

147 1.9JTD

147 1.9JTD EGR valve or turbo?

Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my car which, from a bit of research on here I think could well be down to the EGR valve. I also found a guide to replacing it but before I go down that path I wanted to be sure it was this.

My symptoms are an occasional loss of power where I can't pick up any more revs unless I put the clutch in and spin up the revs (and turbo) and then feed it back in, sometimes with an accompanying cloud of smoke. Also on some, but not all, start ups the idle is really lumpy and struggles to pick up, also with big clouds of smoke.

This started just after having the master cylinder replaced, could something have been knocked or damaged which would trigger this?

Is there any test I can do to show whether it is the EGR valve rather than a turbo or other issue?

Thanks for your assistance.
Sponsored Links
it could be a split in the hose from the turbo to the Inter-Cooler [ short pipe approx 2 foot long ] or from the Inter-Cooler to the engine [ approx 3.5 foot long ]

also check the small vacuum hose to the turbo actuator as they often perish.

& of course don't forget to try disconnecting the MAF sensor, if the car runs better then replace the MAF sensor.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

clean egr and map and see how it goes
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
not turbo, the only smoke u will see via that is blue smoke as it burns oil........
black smoke and bogging down is egr dont just clean it.......make sure the pin on solenoid moves ! and do map sensor as well.......just to left of egr on rear of engine.....one torx bit holds it in
carb cleaner to clean it.......not wd40
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
I did mine on Sat an can say for how long it takes it is the best thing to try- Dead easy to perform, A couple of the bolts on the lower part of the EGR can be a pig but once its off, Clean, Re Clean and Clean again-

When you take apart the EGR valve the small pin is meant to pop out approx 1/2inch or so- Its not clear on the guide how far it comes out so....

Made a huge difference to low end grunt an almost elimated the cloud of smoke I used to kick out under hard acceleration- It was that bad I felt like I was in wacky racers at times!!

Good luck
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

147 1.9JTD

Thanks for all the help guys.

When it comes to checking the hoses am I better doing that from under the car, not sure of the routings but they sound like they might be slightly more hidden away.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 19jtd , egr , jtd , turbo , valve