147 Front Lower Wishbone replacement: Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Essex
Hmmm 147 Front Lower Wishbone replacement: Help!

First off, hi all.

I have made this account with the purpose of trying to figure out how to do the above.

I have carried out a Google search on how to do it, and though I found a useful guide for the upper wishbone (How To... Change Upper Front Wishbone on an Alfa 147/156/GT), the lower wishbone guide seemed not to be for the 147, only earlier models such as the 146 and 155. (How To... Replace the lower wishbones on an Alfa 145/146/155 and GTV/Spider) Thus this was not of any real use to me.

The car is a 2002 147. I have sucessfully changed the upper wishbones with comparitviely little difficulty, but the lower one seems to be far harder which isn't what I was expecting!! Though all of the bolts have been removed from the old wishbone and the ball joint has been dis-attached, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting it to come out.

It seems to be trapped by a variety of things;

* The anti-roll bar
* The hub
* The driveshaft

As I am replacing the drop links on both sides (eventually... ) I had to think about whether removing the drop link from the other side would allow some play in the anti-roll bar? This might help to get some leverage on the arm.

I have never diy'd a driveshaft and have no idea how I would go about removing one, so unless somebody knows of a good guide etc that would help I'd rather leave that in place if possible.

So that's the problem! If anyone has any hints and tips they would be very gratefully recieved

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Make sure both sides are jacked up, yes you need to disconnect ARB links both sides.

to get wishbone out, you need to push down on it and slide it out towards the front of car. it helps if you move the Hub to one side, preferably opposite side to where the wishbone is going to come out. worked for me.

Try this https://sites.google.com/site/alfaro...wishbonelower/

Very useful

All the best
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
It's a very tricky job, the ARB droplinks need to be removed to allow the hub assembly swing outwards, disconnecting the upper wishbones may make things easier too. Have both sides of the car jacked up evenly, takes the strain off the ARB and droplinks.

If the droplinks have never been replaced buy a new pair now, you're very unlikely to get them off without resorting to a hacksaw.

You should be able to then manoeuvre the lower wishbone out, however that's nothing compared to the problems getting the new one back in, you'll be convinced the wishbone is not for your car.

All the best

Loose - not close, compact, or tight in structure or arrangement
Lose - to part with or come to be without, as through theft, accident, negligence, etc.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Last time I took the complete strut and driveshaft out as even if you can get the arm back, it's almost impossible to get it to the right angle to line up the bolts. It's very very easy to cross-thread them as the mountings are so soft.

There's a PDF doc describing the two methods I've used on Gazza82's Alfa 156 2-litre Twinspark. Click on Hint and Tips and Wishbone Replacement. Not many pics unfortunately ... I plan to update it when I have to do mine again. (which judging by the clocking noises from up front, could be sooner than I'd like!)

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
Almost forgot.....

When you put your new wishbones in etc... the long bolt that goes through the suspension fork and wishbone arm bush, don't tighten that up with wheels off the ground. put bolt in and nip the bolt up (little bit loose) and put car on the deck, and then tighten.

Reason for this, when you tighten that bolt up with no weight on it it and then lower the car, you put stress on that rubber bush and you twist it. also you get uncomfortable ride too.

Make sure you get wheel geometry checked. cost me bout 35 +8 for each adjustment
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
On my 2001 JTD 156 the driveshaft had to come out of the hub, the ball joint goes up and runs close to the CV so no clearance. As has been suggested, it's a bit of a bugger to reassemble, the wishbone mounts will do anything except line up!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 25-02-12 Thread Starter
Wow, what a lot of detailed replies and so quickly, this is clearly the right place for me to have come looking for advice!

I have read everything now over a cup of tea and I'm going to go back out there either later or tomorrow (back doesn't put up with much of this kinda of stuff these days ) and have another go at it, armed with all these tips!

That link is really good Chris, thanks! The photo's in that combined with the text from both that and Gazza's link should come in handy.

Thanks again for such a quick and helpful bunch of replies!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , front , lower , replacement , wishbone