Theremostat issues? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk
Theremostat issues?

I have had a misfire issue on my 1.6 156 sportwagon for about a month now i've replaced pretty much everything on the 1st cylinder to no avail but yesterday the MAF was replaced and the car finally has its power back and whilst moving drives like it should! but in idle it's still quite jumpy and sounds like a transit van, but i noticed the engine temp never seems to go above 70 or so and very rarely seems to get up to the 80-90 mark. Plus I cleared all the engine faults and the engine management light now flashes at about 3000 rpm.

Any ideas/help would appreciated

Cheers, Matt
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kilkenny

Member car:

156 2.0 ts

Good thread on here about diagnosing thermostat failure recently - certainly sounds as if it has failed if the temp reading of 70 is correct - don't think the two isssues are connected though - have had thermostat failure and never had management light coming on. Is MAF an original ?
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 21-02-12 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk
Well Apart from the rough and slightly noisy idle the car seems to be running fine now, but the replacement MAF is brand new, the car was misfiring horribly before and struggling with any sort of power but now the powers back and the misfires gone (hopefully), just wondered if the thermostat would be causing the engine to run too cold and affect the idle and power? Just annoying to seemingly sort the problem only for the light to be back on.

Also on another unrelated note there's a horrible knocking coming from the rear, the suspensions working as per as far as i can tell, local garage says its probably the shock absorber?
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
If the engine thinks that it is running cold then it will tend to overfuel i.e. run as if it was on choke - if you have AlfaDiag or FiatECUScan you can check to see what tempreture the ECU is seeing - remember that the dashboard tempreture gauges are not known to be accurate.
AO Silver Member
Is the MAF original, not a cheap replacement?
And the knocking, only over bumps? Could be a bush?

Try the ECU reset perhaps? But don’t do it on my say – wait til a smarter person says the same thing perhaps…

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

issues , theremostat