Advertised Alfas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 19-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.0TS+V6

Advertised Alfas

How often have you been to look at an advertised car (156 in my case) described as "Excellent" "Immaculate" "Like New" or "Superb" - usually inside and out...

Only to be sadly disappointed?

It would seem that traders in particular don't know how to accurately describe the condition of a car. Or maybe I expect too much?

Is it fair to assume that paying less than 1500 for a car and expecting it to be fit for use is over-optimistic?

I guess nobody is going to emphasise a cars 'faults' but last week I travelled 70 miles to look at a 156 described as "well cared for" The fact that it needed bushes all round, had a crusty blue/green rad and had a cam belt break that caused the engine too rattle horribly over 3000rpm wasnt mentioned in the advert

Waste of my time and petrol.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Norfolk
There's laws to protect the buyer particularly where a dealer is concerned, but if they put a car through an auction seems no redress for the buyer (Norfolk CC Trading Standards failed Court action) and if you pay "trade price" looks like little guarantee. If private, "buyer beware" but, yes, just remember 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' but sounds like the usual trick advertisement hoping someone may come along and buy rather than going home empty handed.
Looks like most older 156s (and similar) suffer from maladies such as described which is generally why they are up for sale the potential renovation/overhaul bill exceeding the vehicle's value. Someone tells me the answer is to buy a Japanese car............seems they rarely go wrong.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advertised , alfas