WHEN TO SERVICE GT jtdm 06 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

HI all, when to service my gt, its done 46 thousand so service every 12 means its due at 48 you would think ??? . I was expecting info centre to tell me it was due as book says 2 thousand miles before service due you will recieve a reminder .So checked this out on the info centre it says next service due in 4700 miles.Now what to do, wait till the car tells me it needs service or do it at 48 miles .Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
12 months or 12k miles which ever occurs first is the advice - so if you do not do 12k per year then the milage can get out of sync or if like me you do more than 12k a year you do not bother with the calander and just work to the mileage.
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Octavia vRS

Ignore what the info centre tells you. If it isn't just outright wrong, it probably wasn't even reset at the last service.
Just service it 12 months from the last service date or 12k miles after the last service, whichever one comes the soonest.
AO Member
County: Tirol
If you are doing near 10-12k miles, I wouldn't bother with having to service it asap. Servicing is subjective and a book or a computer shouldn't be the be all and end all for when you should service. 12 month service is a good idea to do anyway but it doesn't need to be exact, even if it is 6 months later and the engine oil level isn't low and the oil isn't too burn't and the milage is fairly low, there is enough coolant in the radiator, you shouldn't have a problem. Milage is always a better indicator for servicing intevals over time, unless you don't intend on servicing the car for 2 years or longer...

Also my GT tells me when a service is due which just gives a rough idea of when it should be done, but it definately doesn't take precedent over when I think the service is due.

Also you can never service a car too much, by service I mean simply changing fluids, most of the other stuff done by the dealers is a waste of money or not necessary every single service. A car with tip top fluids is going to be much better in the long run than the average person who takes their car for a service because a book or computer tells them to. Before a service is due (especially in diesel cars) it is common for oil levels and coolant fluids to fall below the minimum mark (depending how you drive it). Chances are you will have to top up the oil or coolant before the book says to service it anyway.

Being on time for a service is always better for resale though.

So basically if you think something will go wrong if you don't service it right on the 12 month mark, don't worry too much, as long as the fluids are within the acceptable levels the car should be fine for a few months.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtdm , service