please help so wife
will let me keep the
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United Kingdom
bad cold starts on JTD > camshaft sensor?
Have read countless threads on this subject and still a bit puzzled please help!
I have been having really bad (endless cranking) cold starts on my 147 jtd 16v for a month or two now. Once finally started it is fine for the rest of the day. With this really cold weather i am having to use easy start most days...
- I have checked and replaced my glow plugs, all four are new. taken each one out and watched them glow red to double check!
- had a split lower boost hose, has been replaced for silicone
- cleaned EGR and throttle body very recently, not that dirty from last clean anyway.
- checked and cleaned MAP sensor and seems to be fine.
- replaced crank sensor, made no real difference
- replaced, fuel, oil and air filter and oil very recently.
- injectors were sent off for cleaning a few months ago and now report similar-ish correction values
- had new clutch and DMF before Christmas
- brand new bosch battery
fuel is definitely reaching the injectors they just don't seem to be receiving a signal to fire. I am now suspecting the camshaft sensor. I unplugged it while engine running and it did throw a MCSF warning then goes away once reconnected. All the while engine continued to run (I thought it would immediately cut out? like in the case of cam-belt failure) But if this is on its way out could it be that it gives a weak signal on cranking and stops injectors from firing until squirt of easy-start gives a bit of extra oomph?