Manual gear change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
County: Victoria

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Manual gear change

New to Alfa, just picked up a 2002 147 2.0 TS. Pretty sweet car, very different to my previous Saab 9-3 Aero, but fun none the less.

One of the small niggles Iím having is the gear change. Itís on the original clutch by the looks of the SH having covered the equivalent of about 42K (Iím an ex-pat in Aus so have to work with KMs now)

The clutch has a nice low biting point, so I donít think itís overly worn but sometimes when going into reverse, it will grind/crunch in. Also, the gear change can be notchy, which gets pretty annoying when doing a town run as we have a lots of straight roads intersected with what feels like a million other straight roads, with traffic lights mostly on Red.

Iíve read a bit on here (a great resource BTW) about some plastic ball-joint at the bottom of the stick causing this, but I canít decide if my symptoms match what Iíve read. The stick is generally Ďspringyí enough but something in the linkage feels odd, or at least thatís how my mind is interpreting it.

Any input most welcomed.

(Apologies for long post, enough detail? More niggles to follow soon)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
The clutch shouldn't really bite low, it should be midway in the pedal travel. If its low then you most likely have a slave or master cylinder problem. A high pedal would indicate a worn clutch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , gear , manual