alfa anti-roll bars - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0

Help alfa anti-roll bars

Hi all

I have just fitted jamex lowering springs to my alfa 147 2.0. I'm still getting a lot of body roll. I can get my hands on a set of 147 GTA ARB's . Will they fit? And will it make the body roll less and by how much? Also have seen engine braces and rear braces but guys have said you will only the difference of the braces on the track?

Thanks Giulio

Last edited by Giulioseri147; 29-01-12 at 17:17.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
GTA a/r bars should reduce it .. but what state are the shocks in ... is they are weak, upgrading the rest won't stop the roll.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2201
County: Gauteng
Originally Posted by Giulioseri147 View Post
Also have seen engine braces and rear braces but guys have said you will only the difference of the braces on the track?
Hi Giulio,

Pretty much what Gazza said - the other stuff adds to the shock, the shocks is your starting point. If you have upgraded your shocks, the forces will translate to the next weakest point, the shock turrets, then the braces will keep the turrets where they supposed to be and the shock can do its work.

Also note that when installing braces there should not be any Net force in the brace - it should be neutral - it should keep the turret where they should be, not modify their position.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

shock absorbers dampers what ever you like to call them actually control rate of spring extension and compression depending on damping rates of shocks you fit..stiffer springs hold weight of car up and spring rate depends on how much it compresses thus the amount of roll .....if your teeth/back bone could handle stiff springs ie race type rates you will have less roll ..cornering flat so to speak .....but nooooo good for road /comfort handling

this is where arb come in to the equation standard roll bars reduce roll uprated arb like eibach control roll perfectly ....these are suitable for uprated suspension ........any stiffer they will actually start affecting the spring rate thus eibach sizes are optimum

as for strut braces dont think they make much difference unless set up for track where you push car to limit with race shocks and the like ..but you would have a roll cage fitted that would stiffen whole of the shell

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , antiroll , bars