156 Sportwagon 2001 - tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 17-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
156 Sportwagon 2001 - tyres

Afternoon folk - My 156 2.0 TS is running well. when I bought it in Sept it had good tyres - well they had plenty of tread but are 'Runways' - so somewhat budget. They are OK in the dry but uneasy in the wet; and pulling away in the wet while turning leads to lots of wheelspin. So I'm busy wearing them out at the moment but am wondering what to replace them with. On my previous car (Saab 9-3) I went through Falcans (fine for the first 6000 miles then dreadful white lining), Continentals (not bad, but I never really got much steering feel from them and the traction control light tended to be on quite a bit) and finally went over to P6000s which were nice to drive on and the traction control light stayed off for most of the time.
So what tyres suit the 156? Frankly I'm not after massive milage I'd rather have good grip and feel in the real world - so what do you experts recommend? Looking forwarde to some recomendations based on real experience
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
P6000's don't .. I think they are too hard.

I personally prefer and love Dunlop Sport MAXX. I'm on my third set and these will soon be replaced with the same. Make sure the suspension and alignment is all up to scratch or you'll get through the inner edges fast.

I've just replaced a rear wheel bearing and the treads smooth on the inner 20%!
AO Member
County: Fyn
A very nice place to start :
Tyre reviews, tests and ratings | the online tyre guide
Pirelley´s are italian so I stick to them (unfourtunately I drive 17" in the summer and P zero rosso or nero are very good in the wet )
In size 195/65 x 15 Vredstein sportrac 3 V are very good.: ADAC Test - Sommerreifen 2008 - 195/65 R15
In size 205/55 X 16 Goodyear optigrip V and Michelin Primacy HP : ADAC Test - Sommerreifen 2008 - 205/55 R16
225/45 X 17 Pirelli P / Cinturato are the best : ADAC Test - Sommerreifen 2008 - 225/45 R17

These Germans are very god at testing things !!!!Please note the test dates : 2010 !!!!!!!!!

William Lütken

Last edited by wlu; 17-01-12 at 17:31. Reason: more help needed
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I put Uniroyal Rain Experts on the front of my 'wagon recently & am pretty impressed with them so far considering the price (£74 each from a local independent). Can't report on wear yet as they've only been on since just before Xmas. Seem to be quite grippy though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 20-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
So I'm tending towards the Pirrelli or the Dunlops - any one else got good or bad tyre experienances in a Sportwagon - I'm getting tierd of sliding around greasy roundabouts
AO Member
I've had 3 sets of Bridgestone Potenza R40's on my 140k mile 2.4JTD version. Quite satisfied with them but getting the toe-in right has been my job. Waste of time (tyre??) using tyre shop as they always leave it on too much "toe-out" causing excess wear on the inside.

Just my 2p

AO Member
County: Suffolk
I have Uniroyal Rainsports all round on my SW and will be swapping them for the same when these are worn out.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I'm selling my 17" multispoke wheels with nearly new Pirelli P Zeros 215/45/17 if anyone is interested?
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 27-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
New Pirellis

So thanks for all the feedback folk, and I've actually gone for a pair of P6000s on the front. So far I'm pleased - they certainly grip better than the Runways in the damp and are quieter - my 156 is on 15 inch rims so they are not rubber bands

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2001 , sportwagon , tyres