20V JTD MJet EGR Cleaning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 17-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
20V JTD MJet EGR Cleaning

I would like to cleanout the EGR valve shortly and was wondering if anybody on here has any pictures of where it is and how to do the process. Tried the search function but gave up.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
I've literally just done this job on my 1.9 JTD M-Jet ( 2004 ). Not sure if it is different on your car...but I'm sure the principal is the same. It was a very straight foreword job...this thread and PDF guide was very helpful.

Good luck.
AO Member
County: West Midlands
As you are looking at the engine, the EGR valve is situated to the right of the inlet manifold near the throttle body. It is bolted to the manifold with 4 10mm long bolts and the gas pipe is fitted to the valve with 2 6mm alen key bolts. The electrical connector is grey and has a sliding yellow tab on it. Slide the tab back and then the connector should come off. CAREFUL NOT TO DROP THE GASKETS DOWN THE BACK OF THE ENGINE. Spray some brake and clutch cleaner into the valve and leave it to soak. I advise not to use any form of grease or oil as the carbon deposits will stick to it and block the valve. Any way have fun......
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

I did this last year on my 20V and can confirm its the same procedure as on the 1.9's. I found I also had a lot of additional cleaning around the inlet manifold where it bolts onto. There are some vanes to direct the exhaust gases and mine were very gunked up. It did mean I had a bit of extra dismantling as I had to remove the vacuum operated inlet flap to get access with the cleaning stuff.

(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 17-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Many thanks chaps the PDF guide is great, I will attack it on Saturday.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
You should also clean the MAP sensor, this is screwed to the inlet manifold just to the left of the EGR with a single torque screw, maybe a T20. Be careful not to damage the electrical connections.

You need 10mm socket (exhaust pipe) and 8mm spanners / sockets to remove the EGR.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

20v , cleaning , egr , jtd , mjet