Alfa 156 passenger side leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-12 Thread Starter
County: Meath
Alfa 156 passenger side leak

Hi there, anyone know what causes the leak on the passenger side of the 156. Is it the drainage from the sunroof as there is damp down the windscreen pillar.
Sponsored Links
County: Armagh

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Leak in Passenger footwell

I had the same problem but only when it rained and when the car was pointed up hill!!!! Strange!!!

The water was coming for the heater fan located in the passenger footwell. I took off the window wiper cover (see picture) and noticed that rain water had gathered in the cable well and the drainage pipes were completely blocked with crap. So when car was pointing up hill the water was able to seep through the pollen filter and into the passenger footwell.

I took a stick and pushed it through the drain pipes (there are two of them on either side). The water drained is seconds and I haven't had a problem since.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0433.jpg (66.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (37.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.jpg (66.0 KB, 37 views)
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 1.8

I am having a leaky sunroof too!!!!
Usually on the passenger side. The A pillar on the passenger side is usually wet and drips down the foot well.
Parked on an incline once and the rear seats were soaked. It dripped down the near side C pillar.

First thing i did was replace the rubber lining for the sunroof and it didnt make any difference.

This is what i have done so far:

1: Check drainage hoses - none are clogged.
2: removed wipers and check if drainage is clogged - not clogged.
3: water seems to flow through the drainage hose and out fine.
4: remove head lining- signs of water leak on both sides of A pillar
5: simulated rain - water seems to drip from the side of the sunroof. bout 2 inches up from the drainage hose towards the B pillar.
6: same on both sides.
7: removed the sunroof to check for cracks possible leaks - cant spot any.
8: reinstalled the sunroof - still leaks.

This is really getting to me now!!!

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!!!!
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 1.8

I was thinking of getting a 8x4 plywood and cutting it to the size of the roof and reverting it to the roof.
Maybe this will be the best permanent solution to stop the leak!!!

AO Member
County: -
Make sure you use Marine ply!
County: New South Wales

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

156 Leak

I have a 156 2003 2.5 V6 with climate control air con.

I've been plague with this same problem, have checked all the same thing that you have done, still the leak persisted.

I traced the water to the air con intake fan, well the truth of it is, the fan gave up the ghost and when I pulled it out it was full of water.

So I pulled the scuttle off again and mounted a dam wall around the air con intake fan(see pics).
The water leak still persisted and I'm talking lots of water. When it rained the passenger foot well would get up to about 3cm of water in it.

Even with the car cover on the water still got in, although at a reduced volume.

Then in rain storm last week, I noticed that water was flowing down the gutter and under the front mudguard, so I sealed the door gutter and where the rubber fits under the mudguard.

Now the water off the roof and windscreen flow down across the scuttle cover down over the firewall as it is meant to and the flow from the door gutter goes down through the door jam and out the bottom of the cavity.

After a torrential storm 3 or 4 days ago there was no water in the passenger foot well, the carpet was damp, but I'm fairly sure that was from being wet earlier in the week.

I'm now waiting for the next big storm to see if this really is a solution to the problem.

I have always been skeptical of the central drain being the problem because of its positioning, approx at least 10 cms below the level of the intake vent, and the width of the firewall. so it would require a huge volume of water for it to spill over into the fan. After I placed the wall around the intake vent, I knew the water had to be flowing down from the windscreen side.

The next thing I noticed after that was, that when it rained hard the scuttle cover rubber was being pushed up off the windscreen, so I used silicone to seal the rubber to the cover and to the windscreen. The water still flowed in.

After speaking with the local Alfa dealer and the Alfa distributor here (Australia), I pulled it all out and extended the sun roof drain outlet, so that it is now exiting below the level of the intake vent, then resealed it all again. Still the water flowed in.

My next observation is the one outlined above where I have sealed the door gutter rubber. I also noticed during this exercise that the buffer rubbers around the bonnet hinges are always soaking wet when it rains, so I removed them and sealed the end of the scuttle cover, so that no water from the rubbers can flow under the end of the scuttle cover. So now I wait for the next big rain storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scuttle 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Scuttle 1A.jpg (94.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg scuttle 1.jpg (95.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Sun roof drain.jpg (52.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg dooor jam 1.jpg (50.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg scuttle cover.jpg (86.2 KB, 26 views)
County: Antrim

Member car:

I had the same problem last week. I opened the sunroof and took off the scuttle panel. In the corner of the sunroof is a drain pipe which runs into the scuttle panel which gets blocked. I have an old piece of clothes line which I pushed down the pipe and up the pipe, then boiled the kettle until it was almost boiled and poured it down the pipe and then used the clothes line again. Leak fixed! hooray

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , leak , passenger , side