2.4 JTD 20v won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help 2.4 JTD 20v won't start

My 156 started playing up on the way home when it lost power and seemed sluggish. I started it up again with the intention of going for a test run but it would barely move from stationary, and when just revving the engine the rpm barely crept up the dial. Now the next day it won't start at all. It turns over fine but apart from odd coughs and splutters shows no desire to spring into life.
Diagnostics show no errors apart from the p0683 glow plug error that I've had for a couple of years.
I'm wondering if the crank position sensor has decided to suddently give up the ghost rather than its more usual slow decline. Has anyone got any thoughts on what it might be?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

could be EGR MAP MAF.......... i would whip first 2 off and clean them out of crud /deposits and see if any difference
when was last time fuel filter was changed ....replace that if you dont know or remember
to see if crank sensor is working ...put rpm on graph and crank it over you should see crankin rpm
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 14-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the reply Davealfa. Turned out to be the EGR valve being held open by small chunks of solid carbon causing the car to grossly overfuel. Still, at least the car got a new fuel filter and the MAP cleaned out as needless to say I looked at the correct culprit last.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

20v , jtd , start