Wiper assembly horror! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 23-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 TS 1.6 Lusso

Warning Wiper assembly horror!

Driver side windscreen wiper is all over the place - on investigation looks like broken mount. An enquiry on how to fix came back with a price for parts of 330 !!!! Seemingly need to change a whole lot of bits since the whole assembly has been modified significantly over the years - this is a 2002 147 TS Lusso. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get hold of second hand parts that would do the job?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Try one of the breakers on Ebay, or it may already be advertised seperately.

Also Autolusso is always a good bet.
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Go on-line and find 'spares 24/7', select the item you want, (i.e. wiper motor assembly), and they will send you a return e-mail with a price and availability. Then IGNORE the response for a couple of days and surprise, surprise, the part will suddenly be offered more cheaply. I ignored a whole deluge of return e-mails and eventually the parts I wanted were offered at about a quarter of the starting price. When I eventually made the order the parts came next day as promised and were all exactly as I wanted
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 jtd mjet

dont spend loads of money just fix it. have a look at my post http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ge-repair.html
County: South Ayrshire
Do it yourself

After reading around a bit I decided it was not too big a job. Covers are only held on with 7 screws, then three bolts for the motor.

Got it off and liquid metal'd the broken end back onto the link to hold it in place. Then I took three jubillee clips. Cut the screw off one just to get a strip of metal. Wrapped the strip along the link, round the end and back up the other side and secured it to the link with the other two clips. Got it tight as possible.

Have been using it ever since. Total cost of repair an hour and a half and 8.50. I should have taken a picture, but it was cold outside and just wanted it done.

Whilst I have no idea of the longevity of the repair, the price of a second hand wiper motor/links assembly is around 80 (Autolusso), so I reckon I'm quids in.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions,

AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Ebay prices can be around 35-40 if you watch regularly.Same goes for 147 rear wipers every so often you can pick them up for 25 which is handy cos the always seize.Whilst it takes 20 mins to replace the fronts the rear is easier perhaps a 15 minute job tops.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

assembly , horror , wiper