Changing oil filter on a 24V 2.5L 156. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Hmmm Changing oil filter on a 24V 2.5L 156.

Hi guys,

Can somebody tell me the easiest way to get at the oil filter on a 2.5 24V engine? On the 164 it is accessible by taking off the right front wheel, but no way could I get at it that way on the 156. Really well hidden!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
I undo brackets and move power steering pipes to gain access, still tight for big hands though...
Depending on the year and indeed, if it's a CF2 or CF3 engine... The younger ones get even less room...
I found out at my peril (burnt my hand, wrist and a lot of swearing with frustsration) that its not easy but once you get the hang of it, not too difficult...

Take the engine guard off.

Use a spray bottle of water to cool the manifold and sump down before touching it.

Give the whole area a good spray off brake/clutch cleaner to get rid of any oily gunge (it will help with removal and refitting as your hands slip and you have lack of grip otherwise).

There is a bracket with an angled rubber bush that holds the metal/ rubber cooling pipes to the bottom of the engine block, remove it.

You should be able to have just enough room now.

I personally use a metal band type oil filter wrench, it has a screw thread that tightens up the band onto the filter and is slim and long enough to just say get a sixth of a full turn at a time, start to take the filter off.... It should unscrew easily off the thread.

Now the tricky bit... Getting the filter out and the new one in

After all the remaining oil has drained out of the filter, spray again with brake clutch cleaner and wipe clean for a good grip.

Get a couple of long cable ties attached together and pull the pipes as far away as they will go so you have the maximum gap and use the cable ties to keep them in place out the way.

Get a good grip of the filter and pull it down and out. It should come out with some force.

The new filter should go in ok but if it sticks, use some oil to lube the outer metal skin... be careful not to dent it.

Make sure you have lubed up the rubber O ring too

get it into position and tighten it as much as you can by hand... now spray brake cleaner and wipe down again, nip it up a half turn at most with the filter wrench.

Fill the oil to the correct level and start up... Double check for any leaks from the filter seal and sump plug, nip them up accordingly.

Release the cooling pipes and and refit them into the bracket you removed.

Refit the bottom engine guard... Job done... Have a beer and admire your work
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 23-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Wow!! Thanks, guys. Sounds like a bit of a mission! The e-learn manual says 'working from under the car, remove the filter'!!! Do they have a well developed sense of humour?

Will report back when done, I hope.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Operation horrible done! It was the tightest oil filter change I have ever done in all the 40 odd cars I have owned over the years. What a contrast to the TS which has the filter staring you in the face. I am using fully synthetic Valvoline 5W/40 which should give me a 20k change interval. It does not burn much oil, thank goodness.

Next one is the 33. What a breeze that will be.

Thanks again for all the useful info.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 24v , 25l , changing , filter , oil