To replace ARBs and what else? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2,0TS

To replace ARBs and what else?

I've been reading some of the "knocking noise" and arb , suspension upgrade threads and my properly ignorant logic leads me to think that i need new ARB's and who knows what else, so some free advice please..

its a 2006 147 100k miles so far and fairly hassle free.. but now i get a knocking, thudding, clocking?? i especially feel it at low speeds under braking for a traffic light for example.
I can feel it through the brake pedal and steering wheel and my passenger can feel it through the floor.. almost like i am driving over something.. which i am not by the way..
At high speeds the car definitely feels loose and there is vibration through the steering wheel..

i had a look at the tyres which are fairly new and seem fine to me.. with the road conditions here it wouldn't surprise me if one of the wheels is not completely round anymore though.. it does raise my suspicions that this all started around the time i had the wheels aligned and rotated at 100k at 102k now and its definitely not my imagination anymore knocking noise does exist i promise... whats my next step... besides ARB's should i looking at the rest of the suspension shocks etc.. can i do just arb's? if not should i be going aftermarket for the suspension.. ie koni's

gonna take the car into alfa this afternoon and hope they will take a look and then 'll update here but since most of what i know about my alfa comes from here and the advice over the last 100k has proved way better that alfa's i humbly request your expertise

much appreciation
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
if you can feel it through you feet, typically means ARB, although could just as easily be drop-link ARB tie links (whatever you want to call them) as these can get proper noisey also.

thudding then tends to be bottom wishbone related and squeaking top arm related.

replace arms in pairs, so if you do one side, do the other.#

an alfa dealer will rip you off!
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Sounds like ARB to me, although as said could be a drop link but the roll bars often are worn out - best to powerflex it as it lasts longer.

Are you local? Feel free to give me a call for any advice

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

arbs , replace