Checking the earth on GT sidelights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Checking the earth on GT sidelights

Can anybody help.

I've recently bought a 07 plate GT. Love the car and have enjoyed every minute of ownership so far (although it's only been a week).

One small niggly problem though...the front near side side-light has gone twice in a week. Everybody I have discussed this with has concluded 'sounds like a bad earth' and I 'should check it against a known good connection' or similar. At this point I nod sagely and mutter something about checking that out.

The truth is I have no idea what to do, I can change a bulb and that's about it - I re-enter the house like a hunter/gatherer with suitably oily hands and feeling very manly.

Using the anonymity that the internet offers, I now issue a plea for help - can anybody tell me how I would check the earth on the sidelight? I've looked through the forums and this seems to be a fairly regular problem so I'm hoping that there is a fairly easy solution that will also allow me to recharge my testosterone.

Sponsored Links
I doubt you will have a bad earth, this normally is caused by corroision and results in dimmed or no light at all from the affected bulb and I presume it works fine when it works?. The main cause of lamp failure is usually vibration, motorbikes suffer quite badly because of vibration from the high engine revs. If it's like a 147 the holder can be pulled out and make sure that the bulb is tightly gripped.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
i had similar probs and got some canbus led lights from hong kong, £2 ish......problem sorted

one thing that doesnt help is if u touch the bulbs with bare fingers when changing them as the finger prints leve residue of the bulb and uneven heating when lights on and then failure of the bulb

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

checking , earth , sidelights