What next - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire
What next

I have been driving Italian cars now for more than 30 years. I have had them all and never regretted any of them. Sure I have had problems but to the best of my ever shortening memory I have never been let down. During the summer I took my last trip to Le Mans in my V6 and then sold her, the fuel costs were killing me. On a whim I bought a 156 2.0JTS and was immediately disappointed. Hardly surprising really, but then I had the Management light failure thing just as we were going away on holiday. Anyway it was no problem and with new plugs and TLC the car now performs well and I am very pleased overall.
However, my brother bought a Merc a while back, I was very impressed with it, reasonably comfortable, bit of a tank but performed OK. So while reading a post on this forum from some guy that obviously had problems with his 156 and decided to buy a German Golf made me think a little.
I started to look at Mercs, the coupe with a 2.0 engine, pretty little car, nothing outstanding but hey.
My next door neighbour has an S600 V12 in Dubai, it has thrown up an ASR warning light, the garage wanted 7500.00, yes that is correct to fix it.
So I searched the Merc forums, people, consider yourselves very lucky to be driving an Alfa.
The problem pages go on forever, and the issues are more complex than ours and the cost is eye watering.
So, to the chap that bought the Golf, because it's German does not make it flameproof.
Although I have warmed considerably to my JTS I am thinking 159 3.2, somehow I know it will make sense.

Last edited by Philjay50; 18-12-11 at 18:59.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

156 JTD M-Jet

Cars are unique I think. My last few:

BMW 728 S plate. Loved it, uber-cruiser, scares other cars out of the way with it's 2-tonne weight that says 'I won't drive into you, I will drive THROUGH you, Corsa chav'. Cost me a fortune in suspension, opening the bonnet, fuel...

BMW 528 S plate. Bought this after the 7 series encountered a high kerb in the snow in Jan 2010. 168k on the clock, cost 7 in repairs over 11 months of ownership and died heroically in last December's arctic temps at 180k, and still sold for 500 quid. E39s are awesome.

Seat Leon Cupra 02. Brilliant to drive but both the bonbet and boot needed to be opened by the garage, the rear passenger door refused to unlock and it ate tyres for lunch. Had it 8 months and enjoyed it but not that reliable for what is essentially a mk4 golf gti.

Alfa 156. I really don't need to comment! Just as reliable as the 7 series and the Leon tbh.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

G Veloce MA 170

Wouldn't disagree, I have had plenty of problems with Fords in the past, but my dad has had his BMW x5 back to the dealer 3-4 times in the four years he has had it from new. Also had a mate who got rid of his Mazda cos it cost him about 2k a year in repairs (was an rx8 though!), so Japanese cars aren't bulletproof
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Had a merc 320cdi, what a pile of crap, it constantly had problems with self leveling rear axle and gearbox probs, traded it in for a vw touareg, always thought vw was fairly solid, if a little soulless!

Funnily enough, on the way to trade in the merc, it threw up an engine warning light as a last hurrah, nearly cost us the deal. Certainly wasn't sad to see that heap go

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT