Help - wrong wheels on my GT JTD - big probs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 15-12-11 Thread Starter
County: Surrey
Not Happy Help - wrong wheels on my GT JTD - big probs

I bought a second hand GT JTD (2004) coupe last year. Have had five new tyres in eighteen months and several instances of slow and not so slow punctures. Several trips to Kwikfit and they eventually tell me I have the wrong wheels on the car. Confirmed by local alfa dealer (not where I bought it) He suggested I buy standard 17" wheels from ebay but having looked there are a range of suppliers and also I am wondering about which tyres to buy. Obviously what I have will be wasted as wrong fit.

I am a technical numptie - can just about put water in the washers....
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

Not sure why you are having problems unless the wheels are rubbing somewhere or the hole in the centre of the wheel (deliberately avoiding technical terms) is too big for the hub.
Can you post a picture of the wheels?
As driver33p4 says - not sure why a wheel would cause puncture or tyre problems unless its fouling the car somewhere (which you obviously want to avoid) - is the wheel an odd size, could he mean you have the wrong tyres for the wheel?? Then again he should be advising you of the correct fitment.
AO Member
County: Suffolk
My 156 Sportwagon had 18" wheels fitted (they were Team Dynamics) and after an inner sidewall puncture it was diagnosed that the tyre was rubbing ever so slightly on the front strut so I fitted 3mm spacers and no more worries.

I have however gone back to 16" wheels now due to the ride quality on my ever increasing years.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It could be the last place to fit the tyres didn't clean up the rim properly and so they leak slightly where the tyre beading should sit ... the last two tyre fitters I used cleaned up the rims with a wire brush on an electric drill first. Seems it's becoming standard practice. When the old tyres are taken off bits of rubber stick to the rims, making it hard to get a proper seal.

I'm assuming as they are suggesting 17" rims you now have 18" or even 19" ones on there.

So what exactly have you got on there now? Tyre size can be read off the side wall (something like 225/45R18 94W and the tyre brand and type). Picture is best to try and determine what wheels you have.

Oh and don't put plain water in the washers .. this weather it will freeze solid which is about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot. The salt and wet will just throw everything up from the car in front which is when you need the washers the most. Easiest to get a pre-mixed windscreen washer fluid from somewhere like Halfords.

And finally ... welcome to the AO forum MrsM!

.. and I wouldn't trust kwik-fit with a push bike let alone take advise on wheels and tyres from them

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
You don't say what wheels you have on your car at the moment. The GT looks nice with the Alfa "Multispoke" 17" alloys If you're on 17s, the tyres you'll need will be 215/45/17 ... a bit of an odd size. Don't be tempted to put 225/45/17s on, as I think they foul (or very very nearly so) the suspension!

Best of luck with it!

PS Keep an eye on FleaBay - I've got a complete set of 17" multispokes I'm putting on there soon (got some nice 17in Refurbed SuperSports for mine - easier to clean!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

big , jtd , probs , wheels , wrong