147 Cycle Carriers - Theft Attempt of my bike! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 Cycle Carriers - Theft Attempt of my bike!

Hi guys,

Just to voice my frustrations, the other day my dad and I went into West London to do a ride on the Canals and after, we popped into a cycle shop in Waterloo. I parked the car outside the shop and as I have the genuine Alfa roof bars and cycles carriers, which all lock down (supposidley!), I felt quite secure and popped in. I wanted some lights on my bike and I decided to bring the bike into the shop to try them out for fitting. Upon walking up to the car, after being in the shop for no more than 10 minutes, I noticed that the securing, safety straps had been un done - I thought this was odd as I would have heard them flapping on the roof on the way to the shop. As I undid the collar - the bit which clamps to the bike, I noticed it was all bent and buckled - someone tried to steal my bike. They could not get away with it though, as it was all locked down. They must have been loitering around when I turned up and attacked it as soon as I went in the shop.
The bike is worth nearly 1000 and is brand spanking new, so its easy to see why they were after it.

It was nice to see that they did not acheive their target, but it still leaves me with a damaged cycle carrier now. I was initially worried that they might have keyed the car or something to 'get me back', but thankfully this was not the case.
When I got home, I rung the insurance company and got the thing insured. I also took the rack off the car and took a closer inspection and realised that although the roof bars and carrier are very good with regards to locks, but the cycle carrier could easily be UNBOLTED from the roof bars with a 10mm spanner! If they had time (and a 10mm spanner!), they could have simply taken the whole carrier and bike off as one unit. I have therefore gone straight down to the local fasteners to order 5mm locking nuts - this should prevent theft further more, though they could still key the car though I guess

Anyway, I though I'd better let you Alfa drivers know this incase you have an expensive bike with these bars/carriers combination.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6 T-S

Re: 147 Cycle Carriers - Theft Attempt of my bike!

Thanks for the advice, next time I install the bike crrier, I will think about your story and remember to buy new screws.
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Re: 147 Cycle Carriers - Theft Attempt of my bike!

There's always someone ready to nick our belongs.
Glad they couldn't make it this time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , attempt , bike , carriers , cycle , theft