Overheating and losing water - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Overheating and losing water

My Y reg 156 2.0 TS , has just started losing water and overheating. First time on the motorway at night . luckerly has some water in the boot , filled up expansion tank with 2 litres. Left it a while for temp to drop , then carried on to next junction and garage. Topped up with another 2 litres. Then drove 25 mile home. Did not lose any more water and had no power loss. Possible radiator leak or stat or water pump. Gonna get it checked for head gasket , but was wondering how easier to change stat , radiator or water pump. Any special tools required?

Using my wife's GTV in the mean time , had forgotten what fun the GTV is to drive
Sponsored Links
Thermostat is straight forward - two 13mm bolts but they stats usually fail open rather than closed and you should be able to see if its loosing coolant from that area.
Radiator is a bit fiddly and time consuming but doable at home, only "special" tool from memory is a set of torx bits.
Waterpump means removing the balance and timing belts and all the ancilliary bits, cam covers etc so not so straightfoward.
Given the age of the car the radiator is a real possibility
But as you say a sniff test should tell you if its the hg
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 17-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
It was the stat and radiator ,( more like a sieve than a radiator !) . Took to local garage in the end , they did it much quicker than I would have done. More expensive , but my DIY car mecahnics ain't that brill. All sorted now and back on the road

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

losing , overheating , water