147 motor control failure help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cardiff
Wave 147 motor control failure help

hi every1 im brand new to the site ive got a 147 selespeed jumped in car today and motor control failure appeared on dash car drives and starts the same no power lose could some1 tell me what it could be pls if i carry on driveing it would it be ok or is it a danger to drive it like this thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Maf or lambda sensor fault maybe? try and get some codes read, you can pick up a cheap kkl cable from eBay, and a free copy of fiatecuscan which should point you in the right direction
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

Try cleaning your battery terminals first, has the engine been turning over slowly from cold recently? Mine was, and the warning light came on this afternoon, after cleaning battery terminals and removing/replacing the airflow meter cable it went out...

County: -
I had this fault appear the other day. Was a bit worried as it popped up as i was going along, no loss of power, no signs of any problem, I pulled over, turned the ignition off for a minute or so and it went when i turned it back on. Since then no other problems, Im hoping it was just an Alfa winter quirk!
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Lambda or MAF but you are guessing and replacing expensive parts (Alfas usually play up terribly if you don't fit genuine and expensive Bosch sensors.) You need to read the fault codes. Get a free copy of FiatECUscan (FES) a cheap KKL / USB lead (<10) from ebay and read the codes. The free software will even let you erase (reset) the fault codes and turn of the light.
The connector on the car is in the fuse box. One crosshead screw either side of the steering column and the panel hinges down revealing the fuses and connector.
The widest part of the multi pin connector goes at the bottom.
You may have a problem connecting to the car, it may be the USB driver but unlikely, more likely, the connectors are a little corroded. Unplug and replug the lead a few times will usually suffice to clean the connectors. The connector was VERY tight on my son's 147 and took a bit of force to push home. A bit scary when you can't easily see what you are doing as the plug is tucked up under the dash and slightly obscured.
NOTE: you do not need any special pin configuration or adaptor leads to connect to the engine ECU the single KKL / USB lead will suffice. The FiatECUScan website is quite confusing in this respect - perhaps it's just me but it threw me.

Last edited by kandlbarrett; 28-12-11 at 23:27.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , control , failure , motor