156 (2001) subtle front end squeaking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
156 (2001) subtle front end squeaking

Alfa 156 2.0 Selespeed (2001) 110k emits a fairly quiet, high-pitched whistling squeak which you can only hear under 40mph with the window down when turning right and/or when applying the brakes. Same thing? Seems to come from the drivers os side. Instinct tells me it's the bearing but why would it make the same noise under braking? Is it just coincidence that worn pads and past-it bearings make the same squeak or is there some other Alfa mystery that I'm too new to know about?
Forgive me if this has been answered before but I can't find the thread. Front suspension also sounds like a cat getting beaten up with a hockey stick but that's a very different kind of squeak and Alfacentre reckon I can leave the wishbones till next service (120k).

Related? Driving London to Scotland over Crimbom so don't want to get caught out.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
wheel bearings drone, squealing noises are normaly brakes, take pads out (or replace if worn) and clean everything up where pads sit, put copperslip on, and on piston edge on the caliper, make sure that the back plate isnt touching the disk either.

bearings are expensive and need proper fitting with a press, just had one go....it droned in a straight line, and thumped on cornering, no play at all could be felt when shaking the wheel

your other noise is top wishbones..........not a bad job to do yourself, a good hour per side, horrible noise over speed humps........it should be silky smooth an will be with new top wishbones on

AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.0TS+V6

My own experience of a low speed high pitched squeak was solved by a liberal application of silicon spray to the upper wishbones.

I thought it was the brakes binding :-/

Not sayin this will be your cure.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2001 , end , front , squeaking , subtle