Newbie needs advice pleease. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-11 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Newbie needs advice pleease.

Hi guys,
a few days ago i finally bought my first alfa, a 2000 156 2.0ts selespeed.
when i bought it i knew it had a misfire which i wasnt overly worried about after doing a bit of research into possible misfire causes.
i went to pick the car up and took it home, despite the misfire i was impressed with the performance of my first alfa
That all came to a grinding halt this morning. i drove to work last night with no problems having not had time yet to troubleshoot the misfire. however on my way home this morning i stopped at traffic lights for about 2 mins with the selespeed in city mode. when i went to pull away the engine died with an assortment of flashing lights and beeping noises on the dashboard. i switched the ignition off, left it for a couple of seconds and then switched her back on and she fired up as if nothing had happened
about 4 miles later exactly the same thing happened, went to pull away from lights and she died again and immediately started again and drove fine afterwards!!!
All the lights on the dash come on and go off as they should on start up, there is no visible fluid loss that i can see so wtf is going on?
could this problem be related to the misfire?
If not please could somebody, anybody point in the direction of a possible culprit pleeease.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Ring Smaky on 07711605823
He's not on this forum but he is on fun starts @3000rpm. He is a sele guru.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Its worth fixing a missfire as a matter of priority as you can end up with burnt valves and damaged CAT's quite quickly if you are not careful.
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
sounds like two faults at the same time, misfire likely to be a coil pack, probably cylinder No1 full of oil, and maybe the cranksensor. No sele failure messages?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , newbie , pleease