Alfa 156 Motor Control System Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-11 Thread Starter
County: Limburg

Member car:

Alfa 156

Alfa 156 Motor Control System Failure

I have an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon (Year: 2002). We bought it 2 years ago second hand in a reasonable state (mechanically speaking). The performance of the car was a problem from the start, max speed is around 160 km/h, should be 212 km/h; poor acceleration. The dreaded Motor Control System Failure warning always pops up at 3000 revs or below. When we continue to accelerate, it eventually kills the power.

When we bought the car, the upper turbo hose was leaking (has been replaced since). But still no luck on the performance. The acceleration is closer to a 0.4 JTD then a 2.4.

After some research online we checked the MAF & the EGR. disconnecting both plugs, 1 at a time,... We closed the EGR, which seemed to improve the acceleration in the <2000 RPM range a tiny bit, but nowhere close to the normal performance. We also tried to clean the exhaust side of the engine (filling up the exhaust with water, 15min +2000 rev runs) still no improvement at all.

Any wisdom on this is greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

I've had multiple issues with the famous "beep beep beep - MCSF... GO TO DEALER" warning - if you've got an Alfa you really really really need either a diagnostic cable (about a tenner off ebay) and install (free) FiatECUScan on your laptop to see what the car is complaining about, or get a handheld multi-protocol diagnostic machine (they are only 40-50 quid - I have an Autel MaxScan - and well worth the money). The protocol on my 04 2.4 JTDm is the KWP2000.

From what you say though, I'll bet you it's P0238. Have a look in the Alfa 147/GT/156 'known issues' thread for some pointers. This won't be the last time you'll have an engine warning light though, so a code reader is an essential tool box item!

Best of luck with it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , control , failure , motor , system