Soundproofing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

My 147 has the 17" Supersport alloys and depending on the road surface there is a fair amount of tyre roar. Rather bizarrely it seems to be better when the stereo is off!

Has anyone fitted additional soundproofing and if so what was the result?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Soundproofing

Alfas are always better with the stereo off

Seriosly though, it may be no more than the tyres make and the raod surface. What make are they?
AO Silver Member

You'll find the car actually has plenty of soundproofing already, you could add stuff like dynamat or trade equivalent (bitumen pads)but they don't half weigh a lot are a pain in the arse to fit involving lifting carpets and hairdryers and tar like smells for a few weeks.... Dynamat is horrendously expensive to boot.

Had a play with this on the doors and boot of the old 156 when I put in the ICE system, the main benefit was to keep the noise in the car, I didn't have the budget or the time to do the whole passenger compartment to deaden road noise - but you can do it....

there are some road surfaces that are noisy no matter what car I've ever been in a prime candidate is the part of the M6 just south of stafford - concrete theres a bit of the a50 between utoexeter and Stoke that is likewaise awful... It's even noticebale in my old mans e-Class.

As chris says some tyres make it worse - depends on the tread pattern the more grooves I think it is the more noise as a general rule?

Yes they do sound better with the stereo off - but when you are regularly doing 300mile trips a good sound system rapidly becomes necessary....

Alfa V6 - the ultimate aural pleasure
Simes - the Alfaowner formerly known as Alfa156man
AO Gold Member
County: -

Tyres play a signigicant part in road noise.
For example Yokohama V550 dB are much quieter than Pirelli Pzero Nero's on the same car.
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA
County: Gauteng

I used to run 16 " Continental EcoContacts, now with the wheel upgrade want to 17" Toyo Proxes4. Surprisingly the level of noise is considerably lower.
I'd say that your tyres are the biggest cause of roadnoise
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

When I fitted my sub woofer I also fitted the boot space and floor with felt sound proofing. This is very easy to do and fairly cheap - noise is reduced but mainlyfrom the exhaust
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

Originally Posted by Stori
Tyres play a significant part in road noise.
I second that. Unless you want to lift the carpets, door panels and fit the sound proofing materials (and risking all the pieces coming loose later), do choose your tires wisely.

I used to have Yokohama AVS and Dunlop SP9000, and I'm running Yokohama ES100 on the Sportwagon. I was thinking about adding sound-proofing mats, but decided against it, knowing that my next set of tires will be much quieter.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

soundproofing mats are not hard to do on the 156 and well worth it. even the cheapo rubber type mats. i got mine done in under 3 hrs and installer had to remove the seats and raise the carpeting. results were quite good. noticeable less road noise in the cabin now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT