Horrible noise at the wheel... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 QV, 147 2.0

Horrible noise at the wheel...

Was driving pretty hard this afternoon, chucking my 147 around a few twisties and barelling down the straight bits at pretty extreme speed (by which I, of course, mean 59mph ;-).

V hot brakes on arrival, but otherwise no ill effects. I parked handbrake OFF to prevent warped discs.

I then picked up a passenger and drove unbelievably more sensibly for about a mile, through a village stopping periodically for traffic.

There was then an 'upsetting' noise from region of nearside rear wheel (RL for you international types). It sounded like someone on a nearby building site chucked a scaffolding pole on the ground and then dragged it along the road. It was in exact sync with my roadspeed and stopped when I stopped. I got out for a cursory look for stuff that may have fallen off but no joy.

Shrugged, got back in, drove 100 yards to the accompaniment of the same scraping sounds. Stopped for a 'proper' look, jacked car up on wheel changing jack, tried to take wheel off (but had wrong size wheel brace on board considered AA but thought just one more try... and all was fine. I had retrieved no FOD, not even thumped any of it with any real venom, nothing. And all seemed normal.

I'm gonna take everything apart tomorrow, check torques, the whole bit, but what do you think I'm into...? Bearing? Broken spring? But how come all was fine after a brief stop?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
Could have been a stone caught between the disc and shield, makes a horrible noise...
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

worn pads ? or worn disc catching on backing plate of pad
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 25-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 QV, 147 2.0

1of1: good thinking. Hadn't considered it as a non driven wheel, but the noise was about right.

Dave, shoulda said are all new(ish) but when I heard the noise my first thought was actually dead pad versus disc. Makes me think stone is right.

Made the mistake of driving thru a puddle the other day so have to do the aux belt and tensioner anyway tomorrow: will definitely have the offending wheel off for a bit of a poke about while I'm in the mood.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Sounds similar to my experience. I had a rattling noise from the air con compressor that turned out, we suspect to be a stone in the pulley. After getting a new compressor (now returned) the noise stopped and hasn't re-occurred. The noise did start after driving down a very bumpy country road and hitting the undertray many times (the Ali tray paid for itself many times over).

FOD? Ex RAF by any chance cloverleaf76?
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 27-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 QV, 147 2.0

Well, checked everything and not a sausage out of place. Geometry AOK, friction surfaces healthy, even undertook a vigorous test drive to test recurrence but nothing.

All in all will put it down to a trapped stone and keep half an ear out.

TOX1C: nah, but we mix in the same circles. I have sportwagon envy BTW from your signature strip: my family ride is an SUV

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

horrible , noise , wheel