Tyre Temps & Handling (156 & Toyo Proxes) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Tyre Temps & Handling (156 & Toyo Proxes)

Hi all,

A couple of months back, I bought a new set of four Toyo Proxe T1-S tyres for my 156 (16" TDs, Sportpack Suspension), since the old Firestones were worn. Since then, the back end has felt pretty "twitchy" and the whole car seems to be more affected by crosswinds (yeah, I know, sounds wierd).

At first I figured it was just the new tyres taking time to "wear in", but I've now done a couple of thousand miles on the tyres and things don't seem to be improving.

Cornering causes a strange feeling; the front end seems to go exactly where I point it, but the back seems to take a moment to "shift" into position, giving a disconcerting feeling like the back end is about to break away. It never does (not even any tyre squeal) but then, at the speeds I'm talking about, I'd be shocked if it did.

To top it off, I spent the weekend in Edinburgh, driving back last night, and was shocked to find that, despite a long, high-speed motorway run (M74-A74-M6-M55 - about 130 miles), the tyres were stone cold to the touch when I got home. Granted, the temperature last night was bitterly cold (ranging from 0 to -6C over the course of the journey), but I would have expected *some* residual heat in the tyres.

So, two questions, possibly related - unusual handling since I put the new tyres on (don't recall anything similar on the old tyres... although I might have been sensing it and writing it off because I knew the tyres at the time were old...), and stone cold tyres despite a long trip.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Tyre Temps & Handling (156 & Toyo Proxes)

The Toyo's have a very good reputation so this does sound a bit strange. I would expect there to be a good temperature in the tyre due to road friction alone.

What tyre pressures are you using?
AO Platinum Member

I've had Toyo Proxes T1-S for my last two sets (the next set will be the same too).
2.5Bar pressure is fine in the summer but you want to be running 2.2Bar in the winter.

FYI I found that 2.5Bar in the summer actually became 2.2Bar in the winter due to the change in ambient temperature. So if you had them at 2.2Bar in the summer, you will now need to pump them up to 2.2Bar.
AO Member

I've had no problems but on the slimey roads I feel a bit nervous. Then again I have the 2.4 engine which weighs have a tonne and affects handling a bit anyway!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , handling , proxes , temps , toyo , tyre