Wishbone replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Wishbone replacement

Hi all
Just failed a CT test (MOT) due to abnormal rotation/deterioration of the ball joint on the front right suspension. Need to have the wishbone replaced, presumably.

Looks to me like this is the piece I need; excuse the french site but thats where I'm based.
Bras de suspension MOOG référence AL-TC-0055

After reading some other posts though, I was concerned about using this piece as its not OEM. For the record my cars 8 years old so I'm not too precious about getting the original parts. Was wondering also if I should be changing these in pairs or is that irrelevant?

btw Been quoted 200euro for the part, labour and parallel/tracking - sound about right?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Non-OEM ones can be OK .. depends who made them .. but remember Alfa don't make these, they have them made buy other companies and buy them in, put them in nice Alfa boxes, and charge three times as much.

200 euros seems a lot. It's not more than an hour labour for someone that knows what they are doing. Alignment probably isn't needed .. I've never done it after changing several over the past 9 years and I don't have a tyre wear issue ...

What you might find is the a/r bar drop links are hard to remove without damage, so you might want to include a new pair of those (it's easier to take both off to change the wishbone my way!)

Check if someone like EB Spares will ship to France and compare prices.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
yup agree its a bit much

like said,,,,,, its an hours work for anyone who is ok with spanners

make sure u silicon grease the bushes and bolt to aid long life

AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

How do you know it isn't the lower wishbone that failed ?
AO Member
County: Fyn
Moog parts are one of the best you could get so don't hesitate...
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the info, checked the prices on EB spares £48+vat and £15 shipping so pricier than the Norauto part. Looking at the quote breakdown, seems they're charging for 1.5 manhours at 50ph and the majority of the cost is the alignment at 80euro so may go as you suggest and skip that...

@Alexie: Had the tester show me what he was talking about as my french isn't really up to deep discussion on car repairs - so he showed the balljoint in teh top of the wheelarch so seems to make sense its the upper.

Anyway, cheers for the knowledge, happy to go with the Moog part now and will stay with just replacing the one... the answer I was hoping for tbh

@Gazza82: Noticed your status about the sidelight and have a related question for you. I've just replaced mine as had a failure warning flashing at me irregularly but frequently. Wasn't that the bulb was blown but it was a bit burnt so assumed this was the problem. After changing them though, I still have the d*mn annoying warning beep and to top that off, just today I also an irregular warning that the brake light is gone too and have had a couple occurrences of 'fast indicator' - warning about blown indicator? Have checked all lights and all working perfectly so was wondering if you'd have had experience of this... possibly symptomatic of something worse? Cheers!

Last edited by JTD147; 11-11-11 at 19:15.
AO Member
County: Attica
the electrical problem is probably with a diode arrangment on a pcb on the speedo assembly/odometer, had similar issues with mine, every body's opinions were that the body computer was screwed, including the alfa indi guy out here, came accross a thread somwhere regarding the speedo/dial assy. swapped it with a mates good one to check and all problems went away. think the cause was a dodgy rear light cluster drawing too much current which in time burned out the diode but was not enought to pop a fuse. if you can get a used odometer on from a scrapper swap it out.
hope this helps.

Last edited by kevelis2; 12-12-11 at 18:49. Reason: slpelling
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 28-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks for the info and it sounds like its a similiar issue I had.

After changing various front bulbs and checking the plates, I'd worked my way to the back to change the brake lights and saw that the connector of the rear passenger light cluster was burnt. The lowest connector of the four was melted so had presumably been drawing too much current...?

Anyway, didn't fancy searching for the connector or an auto-elec so have bodged it together - just needed some fine wire to make the connection a bit tighter. Think it should last ok, up until the point that I have to disconnect it again at least
Cheers all!
AO Member
County: Fyn
DIY : https://sites.google.com/site/alfaro...wishboneupper/
Upper wishbone has been modified according to ebspareparts.uk,due to quick wear down.Bushes are reinforced in the new series,you might not benefit from this when bying non AR parts, but the fit as well.
William Lütken

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

replacement , suspension , wishbone