Help with vauge problem! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-11-11 Thread Starter
County: Oxfordshire
Help with vauge problem!

Hi all! Ok, where to start?? Well my sister bought a 156 2.0 ts sportwagon lusso...but it had the engine warning light on and so was taken to a garage. The problem is no compression in cynlinder no 4. I'm not sure if it has zero comp or is just down XX%

As I said, it's my sisters car and and don't know any more than that as I havent spoken to the garage myself! I had a look at the car this eve and it starts fine. The engine rocks the car a bit (which is expected seeing as it will be all out of balance) but...and here is where it gets odd...the slight knocking noise and the engine wobble totally stops over about 4,000 rpm!

So the things I thought that would cause compression problems are...rings, hole in or cracked piston, smashed cylinder, cracked, broken or faulty valves...or valves just not sitting right, or even severe head gasket failure (I'd had a few beers and it was dark so didn't check coolant for oil) also, the fact that there is no oil coming out of the exhaust and the engine is not smoking at all, plus the fact that the noise and engine rocking stops after 3-4k rpm (I took it all the way up to 9k), makes me think its not rings...and probably not piston or other stuff within the cylinder, but an ignition or valve problem. What do you guys think??

Also, the exhaust note is jumpy at tick over, was alone so couldnt rev and listen at rear at the same time!...erm cant really think of anything more..any input?

I hate posting with such little info, I ride motorbikes and work on them myself so have an ok, but fairly limited amount of knowledge regarding engines (although mainly 125-700cc 2-stroke single cylinders!), so just trying to figure if its worth pursuing this and getting it sorted. The rest of the car is in fantastic condition. Has had top end re-build and replaced cam belt plus some other bits so its very frustrating! Might just sell it as spares...who knows!

Sorry for a rubbish first post and multiple spelling errors that I no doubt will have over looked, but it has been a long weekend...

Thanks in advance!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problem , vauge