Meter and knob lights on the central panel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Meter and knob lights on the central panel

The following night lights on my central panel do not work, even though the meters themselves and knob functionality do work;

Lights on gas and oil temperature meters do not work. (Is this connected to the gas's yellow "low gas" light? will it also not work? I haven't kept the car on low gas as I'm scared it might not work and i'll end up without gas)

The lights on the heating knob as well as the knob that regulates how strong the air should blow also do not work.

The clock meter as well as the knob that regulates air circulation's lights work fine.

My questions are the following; Can these due to the fuses? (I can't check myself as the previous owner has bolted the fuse box shut to the body of the car as it kept falling off, and I dont want to open without a reason.
If they are not due to the fuses (as is most probably the case) how hard is it to change the little bulbs for them? will i have to take the whole front deck away or can I somehow change them easily?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Anyone? Please? Don't make me yank the fusebox open, it will completely ruin the car..Its been heavily bolted into the dashboard
AO Member
County: Newport

Member car:

147 selespeed

possible bulbs themselves as i would say that iff you have some of the lights working ie speedo etc they should all be on the same circuit,so worth checking bulbs first,then yank the fuse box open
If its tbe bulbs i think you are referring to you need to removethe centre console to get at them.
There is a picture guide on ghe forum in hints and tips
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

The speedometer is working, and so are the gauges without lights, but I remember in my old 33 that there was some really funky fuse logic, so I thought this is the case. But I guess its a harder thing then I imagined...And there is no way im yanking the fuse box. The previous owner has screwed it so retardeded that I cant even move the steering wheel (up and down of course) as he's started one of the screws from the steering wheel box.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Blown bulbs ....

remove ashtray and disconnect lighter

remove radio (don't forget code)

remove gear lever gaiter

you can know get at screws that hold centre console in place (mix of hex and philips): watch out for the cabin temp sensor wiring

dial bulbs are 1.2w capless bulbs

heater control are soldered onto twist-fit connectors

Fuse box is behind the triangular shaped cover at the side of the dash (guess your left knee as you are LHD). It clips in at the BOTTOM edge and hooks into the dash at the top. It MAY have a thumbscrew up through the top of the small cubby hole if it's a later model.

You can get this off without touching the steering adjuster if you are clever!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 08-11-11 at 11:59.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Gazza,

Thanks a lot for the info, seems much clearer from you then the Alfa manual. And I know where the fuse box is, I also know how to open it. The problem is that I assume the previous owner had a faulty box (I read its a common problem on 156es) and the idiot decided to screw it himself so that it doesn't fall of. The box has literally 6 screws which seem to have made a nasty mark on the car, and as I said one of the screws he has started from the lower part of the steering wheel box. So I don't want to ruin the interior more.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

central , knob , lights , meter , panel