Change oilsump -156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
Change oilsump -156

Some muppet have ruined the drainplugs screwthreads for me. And its leaking somewhere anyways.. is it just to change? Or any magic tricks that I must lift on engine, block crankshaft?

Good to thing to check condition to crankshaft anyways meanwhile..

Plus, im about to buy this..

Really same oilsump for every TS engines?

edit: Shipping only UK >_> But still woundering about Oilsump change

Last edited by Malheus; 03-11-11 at 05:00.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Check ebay again cos im selling a sump for a lot less than that!!(280764101925) Twinspark sumps are usually in demand due to being hit by the exhaust via a speed hump or pothole.The plug could be helicoiled but i wouldnt recommend it cos they have only a few thread on the sump itself the sump plug with its massive thread is misleading.The change is faily straight forward.

Last edited by seymour beaver; 03-11-11 at 08:03.
The older twin spark sumps are a different height 155/145 so you need the oil pick up off the respective engine if it's different to the one on your car.

Some have holes for oil temp senders

Som are missing the appendix on the back of the sump and some, iirc of the later 147's cam with a steel sump, allthough I'm open to correction on this.
You can just bung a helicoil in the sump btw.
AO Gold Member
Apart from the 166 it is true that all the TS sumps are interchangeable (although the warning about dipsticks above applies) - the 155 sumps are the ones with additional tappings for oil level and temp sensors.

Changing the sump isn't too hard - but a bit fiddly. You need some long ribe bits for the bolts at the clutch end - they are pretty awkward to get at. There is also an awkward 13mm bolt through the driveshaft support that can be a pain. Once the bolts are all out, the sump will still be stuck on with the sealant - I normally run a Stanley knife (box-cutter) along the joint to remove as much of the sealant as possible - then its a question of tapping a thin chisel or some such into the joint to start to split the joint. Once its seperate, you'll need to remove one of the 11mm bolts that hold the oil pick-up pipe to the block, and loosen the other, to allow it to swivel so that the sump can be juggled off. Be careful when you replace this to make sure that the gasket is correctly located and not blocking the pick-up.....

I've a few sumps if you get stuck.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , change , oilsump