156: Electrical Connection for GPS/PDA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
156: Electrical Connection for GPS/PDA

A while back I bought a PDA and GPS cradle for my 156, and since then I've been running them from a cigarette lighter adapter. However, the cradle was also supplied with a patch cable to be hardwired into the electrics so you don't end up with the cable stretched across the cabin.

I've mounted the cradle on the right side of the instrument coving, so it's just above the fusebox...

Can I wire the supply straight into a 12v supply in the fusebox so it'll be protected by a fuse?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 156: Electrical Connection for GPS/PDA

Yes, that's do-able.

Find a fuse (preferably 10 A) from a circuit that's got nothing to do with engine management, ABS or airbag systems. The wires behind the fuse must be accessible so you can "T" a wire into one of them. From memory the extra fuses on top of the fusebox would be the easiest ones to tap into.

To make sure the wire you're "T"'ing into is fused check for 12 volts on both sides of the fuse, then remove fuse and the one that no longer carries any power is the one you should use.

-- Hoygs
AO Member
Re: 156: Electrical Connection for GPS/PDA

Easiest way I've found for this is to unscrew the ashtray so that you can get at the back of the cigarette lighter and run the wires from there - that way you're protected by the same cigarette lighter fuse that you'd use if you were using the lighter adapter...

I actually bought an in-line cigarette lighter socket, fastened that behind the dash near the fusbox and wired that to the back of the car's cigarette lighter. That way I can keep using the cigarette lighter plug for my GPS, but all the wiring is hidden behind the dash. Retaining the plug & socket (but hidden) makes it easier to swap the GPS unit between cars - when my wife wants to borrow it or when I have a hire car.

Even though the fuse box looks tempting for a connection, I've never been able to get around the back to connect to the wires.....

For my car-phone car kit, I connected that to the back of the radio, where you have easy access to live, ignition and earth supplies....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , connection , electrical , gps or pda