Alfa 156 "lumpy idle speed" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa 156 "lumpy idle speed"

Hello folks. I have had my 156 for over 12 months now and its been brilliant.Its an 02 plate 1.6.Just recently the yellow engine light came on on the dash and this was followed shortly by a horrible lumpy tickover whenever the vehicle is stopped.On acceleration and normal driving its fine.No problems at all.As soon as you come to a standstill its horrible.Intermittent idle speed fromm 600 to 800 rpm.My personal feeling on the matter is that there is a small pipe come off somewhere.Is anybody able to point me in the right direction of a cure then i can get back to the enjoyment of my alfa.Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
If the engine management light is on then it's recorded a fault in the ECU. Lumpy idle could be many things: lambda, maf, cam sensor, etc so it's probably best to find out what before. As it's an '02 you should be able to get a garage to check with a standard EODB code reader.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.0TS+V6

My 156 does it before coming to a stand still. I believe from what I have read on here that if it idles badly when stationary, the likelyhood is that the idle motor attached to the throttle body is acting up...

Then again it could be something else :-/ I had mine diagnosed and it showed no faults. (scratches head)...
County: Essex

Member car:

mine had the same prob when i got it, drove fine just lumpy on idle, found it due to a cracked spark plug.
could be worth a quick look.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , lumpy idle speed