Alfa 147, TS Selespeed, 2.0l 16V, 2002, completely standard and full service history (well looked after)
I am fully aware after various phone calls and forum searching (a tad too late) that my 147 Selespeed was a huge mistake in terms of buying an Alfa as desired since early childhood.
I have the almost inevitable problem of 'Selespeed failure' which developed upon slowing down for a roundabout on a dual carriageway. a sudden braking moment due to the car in front meant that I jumped from gear and into Neutral. I have simplified the history below:
1/. Sudden brake --> car goes into neutral with the failure warning.
2/. Stopped car --> car engages first and drives away no problem.
3/. Off down the next carriageway I go using all the gears --> another roundabout, the same problem occurs with failure warning light.
4/. I call the AA and inform them of the problem and warn them upon checking the resevoir that it is low and to bring some of the specialist selespeed oil with them.
5/. Wait an hour for them to get the correct fluid, Resevoir filled and car inspected I am told it is mechanically looking fine after an hour of him removing the battery and having a look.
6/. Start to drive and it happens again upon downshift from 3rd to 2nd as per the other occasions --> I am recovered and taken home.
7/. Today I took the battery out and made sure wires were okay, checked resevoir which is still full and checked all other fluid levels --> All seems okay.
8/. start the engine and the failure warning comes up, I drive to sainsburys to do weekly shop as a test for the car, all gears engage properly until a downshift from 3rd to 2nd and then it throws me to neutral and I have to pull over and engage first again for it to be fine until i do the downshift again. (nearly killed
9/. I came home and booked the car into 'The Alfa Shop' in Norwich for a full diagnostic check (£65!!!) which they cant do until Tuesday due to demand on the equipment until then.
My question to you all really is...
What do my symptoms suggest to be the problem?
How much should I pay for works?
Finally, should I sell and buy a GT next instead, is the reliability there?
Thankyou in advance for your time.