Cruise Control Diagram - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Paris / Ill de France
Cruise Control Diagram

Hi folks,

The cruise control system on my 156 2.0 JTS has a problem. When the car goes over a hill and requires some extra gas, it usually makes the car go on a error and it completely stops accelerating. I have to pull the car out of the road, stop engine, wait a few seconds and restart.

The only error that shows up is : P1337 (torque control - comparison)

Since I never have this problem and error while driving cruise control, I'm assuming the cruise control system has a problem, either on a sensor that is in the loop or wiring or anything else.

Does anyone has a clue on what to check or a diagram of the Cruise Control control loop ?

What sensors are concerned and how would I test for their integrity ?

Thank you all for any help you may provide !

I drive an Alfa ... at least when it starts
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
The cruise control is not a distinct system, its software on the ECU and uses existing sensors, the only wiring dedicated to the cruise control is the stalk, and thats not your problem.

This problem could be absolutely anything, basically the engine aint doing what the ECU expects it to.

As its a JTS......
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 25-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Paris / Ill de France
Hmmm.... sounds bad. Do I have to understand that only solution is taking it to the stealer ?

County: Noord Brabant

Member car:

146 1.4TS

I've encountered the same issue on my 156 SW 2.0 JTS '04. When driving on cruise control, around 80 km/hr, and when going slightly uphill, the car first starts to accelerate. This is for only one second, and then suddenly all power drops, the engine light turns on, the dashboards starts a peep sound. Basically the engine shuts off, because all power is gone, engine does not react to gaspedal or anything. Had to pull over, turn the ignition key off. After one or two tries, or after 10 seconds or something like that, engine starts and you can drive off again, (watch for upcomming traffic!!!). Engine light is still on and goes away after couple of times, parking and start again.
I've ONLY encoutered this while using cruise control. I've driven many time on the same road without cruise control without the issue occuring.
Engine fault code with OBD is P1337. Haven't found a solution, only the containment: don't drive on cruise control when going uphill.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
P1337 seems to come back as a crank sensor problem (or possibly cam sensor ) according to Google - it's not specifically listed for Alfas but its amongst that group of codes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , cruise , diagram