Water ingress - GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-10-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Water ingress - GT

I've noticed on a couple of occasions now a damp patch spreading out from where the A-pillar on the passenger's side meets with the headlining. Popped the pillar off and have been running the car for a while without it to rule out the water coming in from around the screen. Only seems to happen in very severe rain or when hosing the car down. I've ruled out the window-to-rubber seal as the cause having sat in the car while water gets sprayed on it.

The water seems to be coming from between the door seal and the roof frame. It is only a tiny amount but is getting wicked up by the headlining/pillar cloth.

I gather this is not an uncommon issue. Is a new door rubber the best route to go to solve this?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Newport

Member car:

147 selespeed

you could try some autoglym rubber vinyl cleaner first,also try a warm hairdryer on the rubber this can rejuvenate the rubber as rubber remembers its shape,failing that yes to a new door rubber,but these are not cheap
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 24-10-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Decided to investigate this a bit further and I've come to the conclusion that the upper part of the door seal on the GT has to be one of the stupidest, deliberately ineffective designs ever.

With most cars the door rubbers clamp around the seams joining the outer and inner bodyshell panels together, handily covering the spot welds! The GT is the same along the leading, trailing and bottom edges of the door aperture and then, for some inexplicable reason the design is different along the top and the rubber clips into a plastic trim which is screwed on to the upper edge of the door aperture (8 on the diagram)...

The design has nothing to do with the frameless glass because the rubber could still have been clamped to the bodyshell flange and this trim piece could have been just cosmetic or act as an extra splash guard.

Instead, because of the crazy design the only watertight seal is between this plastic trim and the bodyshell and if even the smallest amount of water gets into the gap between this trim and the metal the door rubber will actually direct the water into the car.

There is a foam seal stuck to the back of the strip but mine seems to have flattened with age which is probably how the water is getting in. Also the foam strip is perforated at several points along its length where the screws that attach the strip (not shown in the diagram incidentally) pierce through, which is a weak point.

So, I've re-attached the trim with a bead of silicone sealant between it and the bodyshell (curiously there is a handy little trough on the inside edge of the trim that looks like it was designed exactly for this purpose!).

Another thing I noticed while doing the job is that the leading-edge screw holding the trim was badly corroded so I took the opportunity to replace it and dab the new one with some rustproofing. Might be an idea for all GT owners to at the very least take a look at that screw (you'll find it by pulling back the door rubber behind where the door mirror mount would rest against when the door is closed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

ingress , water