Need help with tyre size for 156! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Need help with tyre size for 156!

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 156 V6 Sportwagon and absolutely loving the noise, what a beast!

My car has the lovely 17" teledials with 225/45/17 tyres on - my question is that all the tyres need replacing soon and as the alloys are only in fair condition with some bubbling I was looking at possibilities to swap them for other Alfa alloys with decent tyres.

If I purchased 205/55/16 tyres with alloys for example would this upset the handling and feel of the car? I understand I can use wheels from a 147/156GTV?

Anyone have experience of going this route? I have to say the the teledials are one of the nicest wheels Alfa ever produced in my opinion, but by the time I have the alloys refurbished and put 4 decent tyres on I'm looking at well over 500 hence why I'm exploring options.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

PS anyone got some suitable alloys/tyres for sale?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

16's won't upset the car, as this was the standard fitment on Veloces.
You'll get a slightly better ride, and maybe the car will feel a bit softer in terms of handling, but imo, on todays road conditions this is perhaps a tad more preferable....

there should be a good choice of wheels available, stick with those off a 147 or 156 and you won't go wrong.
GTV's will fit but there are offset issues, again imo better to stick with those that came as original fitment for the model.

Don't discount the 16"/17" Selespeed(Sport) or 17" Supersports if you find a decent set, as these make a very stylish alternative.

I'm more than happy with my standard 16" Teles

'When I look at a BMW, Mercedes or an Audi, I see hospitals on wheels. They're clinical, with no real emotions.' - Frank Stephenson ex ALFA chief designer 2006

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

Last edited by alfaholic; 22-10-11 at 15:23. Reason: typoooooo
Experience of 18"/ 17" slightly better turn in but ride quality is jiggly, almost unbearable with 18"s on a bad road!

16"s is a very good comprimise between handling and comfort... They got the tyre size and tread surface area vs grip sustainability perfect...
Just some owners decided that they "knew better" than the designers of a car manufacturer that prides itself on giving it's owner a total handling experience, that's what Alfa's are all about!

Functionality vs Cosmetics

Some 17"/18" owners later on still wonder why they end up with buckled aftermarket wheels, I dont!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 22-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Cheers people, that is really helpful.

I must admit the 17's do transmit quite a bit of potholes etc into the cabin, hopefully I can find some 16" teledials or Supersports that would be my preference.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , size , tyre