Aircon - DIY Recharge? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
Aircon - DIY Recharge?

I've just noticed some "DIY" aircon recharging systems on eBay for c£30, comprising a connecting pipe, pressure guage and refrigerant cannister.

Has anyone any experience of recharging their own a/c systems or does anyone know what a garage charges to check and top up a system?

My 2002 156 seems OK-ish (compared to the tales of woe I've read on this forum), but I still don't think its as good as my wife's 2000 Toyota Yaris.
Someone said somewhere that Alfa never charge their systems to the maximum pressure at the factory, so they're always going to benefit from a top-up.

I was thinking of gambling £30 to see if it made a difference, but I'm a bit wary of doing any damage.

Has anyone any views positive or negative?
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Aircon - DIY Recharge?

A full test and recharge (drained & refilled) is about £80.
AO Member

That sounds !!!!e to be honest. Kits cost at least £1000 up and they evacuate the gas, dry the system and the evacuated gas, reoil it then recharge topping up if necessary.

£30 the bloke wants locking up! Thats dangerous stuff!

AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Originally Posted by Alfiejts
Someone said somewhere that Alfa never charge their systems to the maximum pressure at the factory, so they're always going to benefit from a top-up
Actually most manufacturers fill the cars too much. If the car is at a dealers for a long time before it gets sold, the system will dry out and a bit of gas will escape. Usually a car needs something between 0,5 - 0,7 kilo of refrigerant, but often cars are charged with 0,2 kilo more than specified.

It must cool better then, you say? Not exactly. If there's too much refrigerant in the system the pressure will be too high, and the pressure switch will disengage the A/C pump too often. What's more; when the pressure is high, the A/C pump will use up more horsepowers and make engaging and disengaging of the pump more noticeable.

So there
-- hoygs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aircon , diy , recharge