Engine Rattles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Moaning Engine Rattles

The engine is quite when cold start, but after being driven for a while, some rattles come up both when accelerating at round 3000 rpm or when the rev drops from higher rpms to 3000rpm...

Any ideas what the problem is, guys?
Sponsored Links
Re: Engine Rattles

would need to know more about the sound - what part of the ? engine ? I assume? the sound is coming from, what it sounds like... lots of things 'rattle' on a car...

the first thing that comes to mind is the valve lifters, but I'm not anything but a back yard mechanic
AO Gold Member
County: -

On some of the modern Alfas ,the exaust heat shield can crack and resonate at certain engine speeds.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2.4L VTEC Honda

Originally Posted by Stori
On some of the modern Alfas ,the exaust heat shield can crack and resonate at certain engine speeds.

That is very true, infact thats what happened to my 147.

Heatsheild got replaced under warrenty.
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Brera 1750Tbi Ti

Alright, just did my timing belt change about a month ago...she's been behavin very well. Last weekend, had some extremely spirited drives around country roads...was hammering her and keeping revs at 5-6000 rpm throughout...FUN!!

I've always had a slight rattle comin from the engine bay, which I concluded, was due to my cracked up heat shield. This didnt really bother me.

Today, I rammed her to 6200 rpm on the motorway, and noticed, beyond 5000rpm in most gears, the engine note changed from a rorty sound (which is usual) to a loudish rattle (which didnt sound too comforting)!!!

No loss in power and performance was experienced...just the engine note which seemed to have gone south. Its a distinguishable rattling noise.

Anyone can suggest what's going on?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , rattles