Knocking noise at rear related to road speed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Knocking noise at rear related to road speed?

Yesterday morning I was driving along and heard a clunking noise, speed related at the rear of the car, sounded like a big stone stuck in the tyre tread, but a little bassier.

Within half a mile this turned into ferocious screeching of metal on metal and I had to pull over as I though the exhaust was on the ground. It wasnt. I only had a mile to go and continued one with the world looking at me.

Jacked the car up and turning the LR wheel the noise was repeated. I took off the wheel and looked for a stone stuck and I pushed the disc guard back. Wheel back on and metal on metal noise was gone. Quick drive confirmed that noise has gone.

However, the speed related noise is still there. Kind of like a clunking which is speed related. Worse turning left than right.

Wheel bearing?

Discs, pads and handbrake cables are all new. Its a 1.6 156 2000 model with 83k on the clock.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

75 2.0 8v

normally a clunking sound when turning is often one of the cv boot joints on the drive shaft but in a straight line am not sure, you sure its coming from the back?
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
I had a very similar issue with my 147. Turned out it was coming from the front not the back (sound can travel in odd ways) and was caused by a buckled wheel rubbing against the ABS sensor when the wheels were turned.

As Alfa155 states, it would be *very* unusual for a knocking sound when turning to be caused by the back wheels.

Danny B
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 13-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Sound indeed does travel strangely. It wasnt the LR, it was the RR.

Somebody tried to steal the wheels off it and the only bolt that was tight was the locknut.
I nearly drove it up the motorway at 70mph to the Alfa garage, luckily i just check the nuts, just on the mad off chance!

Thanks for the replies though.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knocking , noise , rear , related , road , speed