18" Alloys GT Change to 17" - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

The TS and the JTD/V6 have different shocks. I bought mine from Larkspeed.co.uk who were the most competitive at the time I was buying (but I needed someone who would deliver to Ireland, so there may be better value UK suppliers)
Sponsored Links
Originally Posted by ALFADOIT View Post
Just bad im afraid!
The fsd's are absolutely fantastic now! but only now the ARB kit is fitted!! I absolutely could not go back to a standard GT now! a sorted chassis is the key to completing the GT.
18's look right on the Gt under the huge arches. But without spending big bucks on suspension upgrades 17's make sense for all round comfort.
I had my OE shocks changed for FSD's at the same time in the garage as I had the ARB kit put in (156 2.4 M-JET). I could not really detect any improvement in the ride quality afterwards. However, the transformation in handling and steering was massive (and probaly all down to the ARB kit). I would recommend the ARB kit as the first upgrade to do before considering anything else.

I changed my 17 inch alloys for a nice set of 15 inch 8 hole pepperpots off ebay and this did have a similar startling effect on the ride quality. Some of this may have been down to the 17's being Avon ZZR's and the 15's being new Rain Experts but I doubt it. Only small trade off is that the higher profile 205/60 15 tyres do flex sideways a touch just like all tyres did before low profiles and big wheels became the latest fashion.

However, beware. Even suggesting that smaller wheels might be better at some things than Carlos Fandango Superwide 22" rim wheels will bring down howls of scorn and derision from the all knowing furry dice brigade.

Last edited by rt05492; 12-10-11 at 20:29.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

18 alloys gt change to 17