front tyres eating inside shoulder - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Well Happy front tyres eating inside shoulder

Hi everybody first I would like to say thanks for the forum Its been a great help since I got my Alfa GT. I've been reading about the front tyres issue, eating like crazy the inside shoulder I had to change mine after 4 months and two visits to the main garages for laser alignment where I been ripped off what a waste of time and money.

Finally I found a place in Manchester where they have the Hunter DSP 600 for a full geometry/alignment check. What a great small place to get the job done whiting 1 hour or less, they adjusted the rear wheels first then the front ones as the car was toeing out. Had a print out of before and after also was reset to zero/parallel at front to help the tyres life.

Here is the address, the owner it call Paul, great service.

Drury Lane Services
460-466 Manchester Road
Tel: 0161 688 7882
Junction 22 off the M60 onto the A62
(Manchester Road) towards Oldham. We are
500 yards along Manchester Road on
the left hand side.

Hope this help others.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Alfa specify toe out on the 156 and 147 so I wouldn't be suprised if it is the same for the GT. Just get the front set to 0 by an indy like I hav and your problems will be solved
AO Platinum Member
The OEM front setting for a normal GT is 1mm toe-out +/- 0.6mm (which is the same as the OEM setting for a normal 156).
Sportpack/Veloce 156 OEM setting is 0mm +/- 0.6mm but that is highly recommended for all 156/147/GT.

If the OP had more than the original 1mm toe-out then that would explain the rapid wear.
Regional Representative
For the South East - AOSE
County: Kent
Another possible cause is the Ball Joint on the lower wishbone arm, having excessive play which will cause the inner tread to wear rather quick (in addition to any tracking issues). An easy over-sight, but worth checking this as a root-cause. You'll have to replace the whole lower arm mind (35.00 factors part). Then, as already mentioned get it properly tracked.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire
Thanks guys I'll keep an eye on the tyre wear at the moment and see how it goes after a few miles, if the problem persist I'll have to check the full suspension cos at the moment the front left got a bit more camber than the driver side and it can't be adjusted. I'm using the factory suspension the hasn't been lower it or any thing same with the tyres are pirellis P zero rosso factory still as the car got 39000 miles. Hope every thing will be ok now cos I'm having night mares

Once again thanks for the forum and the answers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

eating , front , inside , shoulder , tyres