156 V6 Q-system oil change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Aquitaine
156 V6 Q-system oil change

I have a 2004 2.5L V6, with 90 000 km.
Everything works fine, but the transmission oil has never been changed
Alfa says "no oil change", but I have seen that many users change this oil.
Any advice how to do it ?
Simple drain plug and filling by the dipstick?
Dexron II or III OK ?
Any filter to be changed ?
Tanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Hi there.
I just replaced my Q-system ATF fluid last week, along with the engine oil/filter, coolant, power steering fluid and bled & replaced the brake fluid all ready for the British winter.

The Q-system box runs like a dream once the ATF fluid has been changed... Of course Alfa are right, it doesn't really need to be changed. But...... The ATF fluid is meant to be a cherry colour and if it turns thick and black, then it's good practice to replace it.

Here is a run down.

First of all many owners have differing opinion on what fluid to use wether it be DEXRON II or DEXRON III.
Give your local alfa dealer a call and they will advise on what is best to use for your year of make.
Mine was DEXRON II on a 2000 year model.

The whole ATF replacement capacity is 3.8 ltrs so best to buy 4ltrs and remove 200ml into a jug for now and keep for top ups in the future.
You will need :
A Funnel that will fit into the gearbox dipstick spout
24mm spanner or socket for the drain plug.
You will also need a suitable container for the old fluid.
A spray bottle of cold water to help cool down any warm gearbox casing parts before touching them

Take the car out for a quick drive in order to get the gearbox fluid up the normal running temperature and this will aid the draining

Get the car jacked up at the front and on to axle stands for safety.

You will need to remove the bottom engine guard if you have one fitted.

The drain plug is located at the bottom centre of the gearbox facing towards the engine.
It is the only 24mm bolt on the gearbox so you can't make a mistake

Slowly and safely remove the drain plug and keep it safe, let the old transmission fluid drain completely... Mine drained in about 30 minutes before the drips stopped.

There is no need to bleed the transmission radiator or any external filter to worry about
(there is a metal scrubber filter on the inside of the inspection panel at the bottom of the gearbox but best left well alone if your gearbox was working fine in the first place) A fluid change is more than enough to keep it happy.

Refit the drain plug and tighten up.

Slowly top up with the 3.8 ltrs of ATF fluid (DO NOT OVER FILL) Leave the dipstick out as this will bleed air out of the the transmission radiator.

Give the transmission fluid time to settle (about 20 minutes)

start the car in neutral with the hand brake on and you WILL get a gearbox warning light on your dash... Don't worry, this is just the fluid getting to the right places it's needed.

Check for any leaks and once you are happy, turn the engine off and refit the bottom engine cover..
Remove the axle stands and lower the car down to level ground...

Start it up again in neutral and let it tick over for a while until the engine and gearbox is up to temperature.

Foot on the brake, select all the relevant automatic and semi auto positions... You will find that the gearbox warning light has gone out by now

Turn off and replace the gearbox dipstick and take a fresh reading engine running and in neutral... Job done

Now take it out for a spin and make sure you select the city/sport and ice settings
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 04-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Aquitaine
Thank you very much for the friendly and detailled explanations.
I will change the oil next week.

As for the oil spec, my owner manual specifies Tutela GI/2 = Dexron II D

In the Tutela catalog (Petronas), I found the Tutela GI/E, which is the dexron III synthetic spec, which can replace both GI/2 and GI/A (Dexron II)

replaces HP20, GI/2 & GI/A
SAE 10W,
FIAT 9.55550
IVECO 18-1807 Classe AG 3/III
MERCON (M-011201),
VOITH 55.6335.32 (G 607),
ZF TE-ML-02F/03D/04D/09/14A/17C

So, I will put Dexron III in my transmission
County: -Australia

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6 2.5

System Transmission Flush

Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I wonder if anyone has done a complete flush of the Q-System ATF? If so, how did you go about it. I've done a change as described above, but that only changes part of the fluid - and the old fluid mixes with the new - I'd like to have new fluid throughout to do the best I can to maintain the transmission in top condition. The car is 11 yrs old, but only 86000 km, so I feel doing a full flush i a good idea now.
I can take it to a shop - but where is the fun in that??? And if I do it myself, I know what sort of job has been done.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
I'd just do it twice in quick succession if there is a suspicion of oil being left behind. Change it, run the gearbox for a mile, change it again. Do it 3 times if you're really paranoid, but I think that would be excessive.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Yep, change it twice and hopefully by then you will have nice clean bright red fluid. I think the total volume of fluid is more like 8 litres, but you only get 4 litres out of the drain plug.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , change , oil , qsystem