147 Gearbox Leak... Possibly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-11 Thread Starter
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

147 Gearbox Leak... Possibly

Had my 2005 1.6ts in for a service and M.O.T the other day, came back with a note on the service sheet saying 'Possible leak from gearbox - needs further investigation" called the garage back (as they didn't even mention it when I picked the car up, and the new MOT made no mention of it) and they said, they thought there was something, but the mechanic didn't pursue it, do I want to book it in (and pay) to have it looked at again. I can see no obvious evidence of any leak, nothing left on the ground when parked, it doesn't smell 'hot' as if the gearbox is operating with no fluid and isn't making a noise, however, I did notice while driving yesterday that gear stick feels stiffer than normal, much more so at slow speed, much looser (closer to normal) when at higher speed. I don't want to end up with a seized 'box so was wondering what I need to look out for and where the leak may be coming from.

Any advice much appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
if it was me i'd buy a bottle of fluid and top it up that way you wil see if it needs any

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gearbox , leak , possibly