156 gear box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 gear box

I am interested in buying a second handed 156 1.8 model year 10/1999. I have read in a magazine that all these models have problematic gearbox. Is that true? What should I check in the car?
Any known problems
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Re: 156 gear box

It's normally the Selespeed that has the problems.
Mine doesn't always go into reverse unless you let the clutch out a bit.
a 1999 should have had atleast one cambelt change.
always keep an eye on the oil level.
They still rust, but probably less of an issue in Greece.

Apart from that, they're Great
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

I have a 1.8 2000 model and the manual gearbox is fast and fine and it's done 82000 miles now. Yep, the Selespeed is problematic on a good percentage of cars but the manual is as pretty good I reckon. As Kristian says reverse is occassionally niggly but not a problem. Mine hasn't rusted yet despite a few dented panels!

Cambelt changes should be every 36k miles not 72 in the book. The clutch should last a while too. My master cylinder has just been replaced but the clutch plates are OK. Just watch for any knocking noises from the front as they do have suspension faults (not too expensive though). Make sure it has full Alfa dealer history though...

Don't worry. Things are getting nicely out of control.....

Dirk Gently
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

I had a 99 Tspark with a weak syncromesh on first from new. Try to engage at around 10/15 mph and you got crunches unless you pushed VERY gently. So that's what I did for 3 years and it never got any worse. The 02 JTS I have now has no such problem.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

The manual gearboxes are crap. Mine went at 23,000 miles from new. Have a look on this forum or alfa156.net. you will find there are plenty of gearbox problems. If the car hasn't got a warranty don't buy it.
AO Member

Hi Tony44 - I'm on my second new gereration 16v engine/gearbox, and been a member of 155/156 Forums since 1998 and I tell you, the gearboxes are alright. Any make of car or model will have a procenties of faulty parts but the g.box in Alfas are not any worse than any other.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire

Second 156 now, total of 75000 miles, no gear box problem. Also can't say as I have heard about any either.
Rear suspension Trailing arm bushes, Cam Belts, Very ocasionally odd rusty bits, the odd strange electrical malody, have heard of a couple of Steering rack problems, lots of issues with selespeed but mostly solved with sooftware upgrades. On the whole no more no less than the avarage quantity of problems.
BUT don't buy without a good warrenty, this goes for ALL cars not just Alfa's.

Oh BTW I doubt you would put any gearbox into first at 15MPH without it being a bit reluctant, they are designed that way to stop you doing it.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 51

My previous 156 (1.8) had a dodgy synchro on 2nd gear. Fixed under warranty and went again! It was only a problem going into 2nd at high revs (above 6k), when it would crunch. I suppose the only way to check is to have a go!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , box , gear