Should I buy a high mileage 147 Selespeed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-09-11 Thread Starter
County: Western Cape

Member car:

BMW 318ti

Should I buy a high mileage 147 Selespeed?

Does anyone have any experience with 147 Selespeed's with high mileage? I'm considering a 2004 model with 235,000km. Would this be a wise purchase or not? The current owner claims he isn't aware of any mechanical problems and the car looks to be in great condition.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
With that many Kms i would think the selespeed system has been replaced at least 2 times, so i dont see many problems in that area. But make sure you check the service books and see how many times the Timing Belt and tensioners have been changed. To be safe it must be done every 60000kms. Also check the driveshaft area near the diff and gearbox for any leaks. You dont want a diff bearings leaking, it will need the gearbox removed do replace inner bearing. Check the ground for leaks.
If the leak color doesnt match any of the oil you can replenish from the engine bay like power steer, brake fluid etc then it could have diff issues which can set you back 6k, happend to me and i traded it in.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

You are respectfully a very brave man if you do.
AO Member
County: -
I don't think high mileage is neccessary a problem with modern Alfas - they can cover great mileages if looked after properly. The problem I think is that the Sillyspeed system isn't reliable and I wouldn't personally go near one with that gearbox.
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 selespeed

if the price is right then why not? its probably had a engine, gear box and actuator change in its life so if it all in good nic and nothing stands out then y not
AO Gold Member
check when and if the clutch has been renewed ! selespeeds have a reputation which they do not deserve, they need regular maintenance and a lot of people just drive on till the car breaks....and blame it on the sillyspeed, not fair !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buy , high , mileage , selespeed , selespeedhelp