147 Clutch problem - advice required - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 Clutch problem - advice required

Hey there,

My 147 has suddenly developed a nasty fault with the clutch.

As of today, the pedal has become very stiff & spongy; more worryingly the biting point is hard pressed into the carpet almost. Pulling away in reverse or first has become a challenging experience!

Now, this happened literally overnight - drive home, fine. Pull out of my drive the next morning like a rocket ship.

However, when I'm up and running, the stiffness of the pedal aside, it seems fine. Yes, the pedal is very hard & spongy, the biting point is almost under the carpet - but I'm getting every gear, no crunching, no lurching - I would defy a passenger to notice a problem.

Ive checked the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir and its fine - I think I read somewhere the brakes & clutch share hydraulic fluid. Although that may well be total nonsense?

So - I was wondering a few things, outside of my knowledge.

- Do my symptoms sound like a hydraulic problem or the actual clutch plate itself?
- Anyone care to guess a price on the scant information here?
- Safe to drive? Likely to go terribly wrong? Get the bus for a bit?

Any advice would be enormously appreciated - obviously I need to get it looked at by my garage, I'm really looking for some weekend 'tide me over' advice and confidence about driving her - or not.

The illusion of freedom will be maintained for as long as it's profitable to do so.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Afternoon Spiff.

I had similar probs. Just had to have the clutch replaced. It was the original and on 130 odd thou miles.

The slave cylinder is sadly in the bell housing directly on the clutch plate, and as the clutch wears it auto adjusts. The clutch wore out so much on mine the slave popped out, and blew all the fluid out. Unfotunately it happened just like that.

I got a local to do it for me for 550 all in. And they were good parts. When i collected it they said it was a bit of a pain.

Hope this helps.

AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2005 147 JTD

i had a friend that had a similar issue and it turned out to be a faulty master cylinder on the clutch pedal

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , advice , clutch , problem , required