Alfa 156 2.5 V6 reverse gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 14-09-11 Thread Starter
County: City of Zagreb

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Alfa 156 2.5 V6 reverse gear

I'm having some trouble with the reverse gear on my Alfa. I bought it as a 10 year old car and the problem is there since that day, more or less, so I really don't know if it is something that is more or less normal or if it could signal a problem.

Anyway, the thing is that sometimes when I try to put it into reverse gear, the gear stick does enter a position that's more or less where the reverse should be, except that the car stands still and makes a crunching noise. Basically it seems like the gears didn't get all the way to where they should. It usually does that when I push it into gear gently, if I push it hard and firm, it always hits the gear right. As for the switching itself, it isn't hard or jumpy at all.

Now, I did drive an old Zastava 101 (Fiat 128 copy), which had a similar problem from the moment it was out of the factory and it didn't really cause any long term problems aside from being somewhat annoying. So I'm just wondering if it's something that Italian gearboxes like to do, or if it's an issue that will need to be checked upon?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Mine (5 speed JTS) does exactly what you describe, and it makes me look like a right dick. I've seen various posts on here that suggest it's a common trait - they all do that, sir.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Many cars i've owned go into reverse easier if you lift the clutch pedal ever so slightly as you try and engage the gear.
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
^^mine is like that...
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 14-09-11 Thread Starter
County: City of Zagreb

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Oh well, I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to then. Btw, that Zastava I mentioned earlier actually had a hidden 5th gear that you could occasionally hit upon when you miss reverse, with gear ratio somewhere between 2nd and 3rd by the feel of it. Maybe I'll find 7th gear on my Alfa if I try hard enough
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
The gearbox on these cars is great, but you do need to "double de-clutch" (a very old phrase!) to get reverse gear. i.e. push the gear stick into neutral (with the clutch pedal down of course), lift foot right off clutch pedal, press clutch pedal right to the floor again, lift gate on gearstick and select reverse gear. If you don't lift your foot off the clutch pedal before selecting reverse, you may get a crunch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , gear , reverse