alfa 156 16v problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

alfa 156 16v

alfa 156 16v problem

Hi guys.
I'm new to this forum but i have to say it's great!

To my problem, i have a 156 16v. The problem is that every once and a while when i'm driving at low speed(in the city) it simply dies. i have no problem turning it back on. This happens only in summer....
Anyone has a clue what could be causing this?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Can you provide some more information about your car, i.e year, engine, transmission, etc.?

Sounds like a low idle issue to me. To test this, try starting your car in neutral (i assume it's manual?) and just leave it running without touching accelerator or anything else. If it cuts out when doing this, I would say it is a low idle issue.

To fix this the first thing I would try is doing an ECU reset. The procedure is outlined in this thread:

If that does not help, then you may have a problem with your idle actuator/throttle body. They're not particularly cheap to replace, but you should be able to pick up a second hand one from a wreckers for about $100-150 AUD. From what I understand, there are two different types of throttle body's one for selespeed and one for manual. The manual one is the more expensive one (of course :S).

Some people say you can try giving your throttle body a clean, but i've heard this often causes more damage than it fixes.

This is just my guess, don't know if it's right. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
check for air leak between the ITB and MAF meter.
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Main thing is to watch the revs while doing this, if they are dropping below normal idle revs of 950 rpm this would also indicate a low idle issue to me.

I had the same issue initially when I bought my car, it was stalling when stopped at lights or driving very slowly. I performed an ecu reset and have not had trouble since.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16v , alfa , problem